Combo amps....better tone on the floor....

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Shredz

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:10 am

Or better tone putting it up on a table? What are your thoughts lads? I put mine on the floor recently instead of on a coffee table, I play metal styles for the most part and I'm sure the amp sounds waaay tighter in the bottom end just by putting it on the floor!!! So the next question is, YAY for me or am I just pulling myself and/or hallucinating via my ears?

Bigsmudger

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:22 am

I've found my S1 combo sounds better on the floor. It certainly seems to improve the bottom end.
I used to gig with it on a stand angled back for projection - still do in small venues when I gotta stand close
or there's an obstuction, pub bar/wall etc. but when there's a stage, on the floor every time for me.

majikmojo

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:21 pm

^^^^ same here....

i used to do club gigs on a stand 2x12's for better dispersion...not so much anymore
since i added another cab to the 60 i just stack them now -

IM4Tone

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Definitely more perceived bottom end on the floor, but since I don't have ears in my ankles :D I, at least, use some form of small wedge to slightly tilt the amp toward my head. Old Fender amps (and probably others) had swivel legs on their sides that allowed tilting. However, that probably negates at least a portion of the increased bottom end sensation.

I'm not sure this perception is real to an audience if you are on an elevated stage. I've read that higher frequencies are a more concentrated beam whereas bass freq. disperse more out of the speaker. Ever hear of beam blockers? They support the dispersion variance by frequency theory.

Shredz

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:39 pm

Sweet as lads, thanks for the replies, it would appear that I am not pulling myself :P But yeah, gonna get another cab to sit on top seen as we don't have ears in our ankles Image

ronnie robinson

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:26 pm

Of course to make the most of the 'floor effect' you need a 4x12 Cab

• Information