NEW HT5R VS DARK TERROR VS MINI RECTO?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Shredz

Fri May 04, 2012 10:04 am

How much better are the new HT5R'S, or should I buy a dark terror or mini recto?

Keeping in mind money is not an issue Image

Hedgehog

Fri May 04, 2012 5:04 pm

FWIW, when I was looking for a new amp my gut feeling was that I wanted an Orange Terror (Tiny/Dark/Dual), but I tried a few different ones that the local shops had, including Blackstar HTs (I actually tried a 5 and a 20). To my taste, the Orange sounded fantastic at high volume but not so good at home practice levels. I wanted an amp I could use at home as well as for band practices and small gigs unmiked, so I ended up buying the HT20. IMO one of the strengths of the HTs is the versatility at both low and high volume - they may not sound "the best" at any particular thing, but they're pretty good at every level and most styles (and have a better clean channel than a lot of similar amps).

If I could justify the luxury of two amps, I'd probably have something like an HT1 or HT5 for home and an Orange of some kind for playing out, but as a single "amp for all occasions" the HT20 got my money. If I never played cleans at band volume then the HT5 would probably be enough TBH.

I don't know whether it was a "new" or "old" HT5 that I tested (it was in January this year). What's been changed?

Rob

Shredz

Fri May 04, 2012 6:03 pm

Cheers for the reply Rob, apparently the new ht5's have more gain on tap, a reverb knob and an extra tone knob for the clean channel.

• Information