Looking for a volume lead boost for overdrive channel HT-20H

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Indy_Jason

Mon May 07, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi,
Just got a HT-20H. I'm used to 3 channel amp where I can set a second overdrive channel for loud lead volume.

Given the HT-20 has just one overdrive channel, does anyone have any suggestion on pedals or setup that can give

me a lead volume boost? I tried a standard boost pedal but that really just increased the gain, not so much the volume.

I tried running a boss EQ boosted through the Effects Loop and that did not seem to work either.

Thanks for any suggestions
Last edited by Indy_Jason on Mon May 07, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IM4Tone

Mon May 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Indy_Jason wrote:Hi,
Just got a HT-20H. I'm used to 3 channel amp where I can set a second overdrive channel for loud lead volume.

Given the HT-20 has just one overdrive channel, does anyone have any suggestion on pedals or setup that can give

me a lead volume boost? I tried a standard boost pedal but that really just increased the gain, not so much the volume.

I tried running a boss EQ boosted through the Effects Loop and that did not seem to work either.

Although you mention having tried it, many here, including myself, prefer the use of an EQ "in-the-loop" with it's volume increased. I have also used an MXR m-133 clean volume boost (also in-the-loop), and a Morley Volume Plus pedal (again in-the-loop, but it actually works opposite of a boost, being a "pot"). I have found that volume boost and distortion pedals in the guitar signal path work fine for the clean channel, but not so well when the "drive" channel is on....way too much compression.

What was it that you disliked about running the Boss EQ in-the-loop?

vbshredder

Mon May 07, 2012 5:46 pm

I use an MXR six band EQ in the loop. It works very well as volume boost, it doesn't just increase the gain, it will give you a serious jump in volume depending on how you set it. Plus its fairly cheap at $70. I recommend it.

Actually, I typically keep mine on all the time as it gives my HT20 a nice kick in the ass.

majikmojo

Mon May 07, 2012 6:05 pm

agree with the above - no issues works great...

Indy_Jason

Mon May 07, 2012 7:15 pm

IM4Tone wrote:
It just didn't give any discernible volume boost.

I'll check it again. Maybe the 9V was weak.

vbshredder

Mon May 07, 2012 7:27 pm

^^ i've had the same problem with a behringer EQ on a B-52 tube amp, it was all gain, no volume boost. I think some EQs just react differently.

IM4Tone

Mon May 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Indy_Jason wrote:
IM4Tone wrote:
It just didn't give any discernible volume boost.

I'll check it again. Maybe the 9V was weak.
Yes, give it another go. My EQ pedal is also a Boss. I use all the frequency sliders flat and the volume slider up maybe 3/16" +/-. But I have also played with boosting and lowering some of the individual freq's also. Works great for me. I do not use ultra-heavy distortion, but rather what I'd describe as moderate to heavy crunch.

gypsyblues73

Fri May 11, 2012 11:52 pm

If the Boss just isn't cutting (or should that be boosting?) it, and you check out other EQ's, make sure to check out the 10-band EQ from MXR. The 6-band works great as a boost in the loop, but the 10-band also has separate volume and gain sliders, so you can add those to your boost so you don't have to just boost the mids quite so much to cut through.

guitarspaz

Mon May 14, 2012 2:58 am

Indy_Jason wrote:Hi,

The loop is definitely where you want it. I guess if you had the amp cranked way up where you were already into power tube overdrive, you might not get a level boost...but that's pretty dang loud. What are you starting settings before you try to boost? Where are your channel volume, gain, and master volume sitting before you turn the pedal on? I use a straight up MXR micro amp clean boost and it works like a champ. That Boss EQ should work just as well.

Bigsmudger

Mon May 14, 2012 7:20 am

^^^ That's exactly how mine works - once you really start to wind up that power stage there's little room left to boost.
I've found with my 20 that the master does very little after 2 o clock, and standing on my Boss EQ then has little effect.
If it's around 11-12 o clock, it works like a charm. I've gigged that as a solo boost for years with no problem, it just seems
to be a headroom thing with my 20. Do it with my S1 and it'll take yer head off :twisted:

• Information