Is there a head box for my HT-60?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Tonyc329

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Hello Blackstar Amp forum. I have a Blackstar HT-60 2X12 combo. I love the amp, but it sounds amazing through my Marshall 4X12 1960a cab loaded with 2 Celestion Vintage 30's and 2 Celestion G12T-75's in X pattern. I'd like to pull the amp from the combo chassis and mount it in a head box, but since the HT-60 controls are upside-down as compared to all Blackstar heads, I can't do this unless of course the head would fit and I merely mount feet on both sides of the head and sit it on the amp upside down. I guess that's an option.

Still, does anyone know where I might be able to find a head box to fix the amp? It's 28" wide and 10" deep and has to have a 3" opening for the face so all the controls are exposed.

Another option is to purchase an unloaded Blackstar Head cabinet and mount everything upside down. From what I can see, this would work. Anyone know where I might be able to get an unloaded Blackstar head cab without all the logos mounted, or handle mounted or anything else? That would probably be perfect.

Thanks!

majikmojo

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:39 pm

i have thought about this very thing many times but gave up for many of the reasons you describe
it just seems too complicated - i thought about having a cabinet maker make a nice cab for it
but the control situation made me think twice
i just decided to wait and see if B/S makes a 3 channel head less than a 100 watts in the venues
so far.....not happening - lol

minerman

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:44 pm

I'd like to find the exact same thing for my HT-5.......links anyone????

Tonyc329

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:43 pm

I really think a standard Blackstar head rotated upside down would work perfectly. If someone could measure the opening for the controls on an existing head to let me know if it is 3" I would appreciate it.

Tonyc329

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:23 pm

According to Blackstar, the HT Stage 100 head shell would work for this with the chassis mounted upside down inside the head shell. I have contacted the US distributor, Korg USA, but I don't expect to hear from them until mid to late next week.

I also contacted Mojotone about making a custom head shell, but they came back with a price of $400. Before spending that much, I'd just buy a used HT-100 head. I'm also considering building my own head shell based on the specs I see of the HT-100.

So there you have it. Not much success because of the lack of demand.

Hedgehog

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:28 pm

The hardest thing about building your own box would be covering with tolex tidily. I'd be tempted just to use some nice looking wood and varnish it rather than covering with tolex (perhaps also add some metal corner protectors). If you forget about trying to make it look like a normal Blackstar head I reckon you could make something really nice looking for not too much cost.

RCB-CA-USA

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:01 pm

...the easiest way to turn the HT-60 2x12 into a head is to cut off the speaker cab area keeping the bottom for attachment to the bottom of the head, done.

A quick search shows Musiciansfriend has a used, broken HT-60 for $378.00.

8)

Tonyc329

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Ok, so I've given up on finding an unloaded head shell for my HT-60. Recently I played a gig with the amp and I sat it up on top of my Marshall 1960a 4X12 loaded with a pair of Vintage 30's and a pair of Scumback M-75's in X pattern and left the internal speakers of the combo unplugged just using the 4X12. Sounded AMAZING. I'm just not a fan of the way the open back combo sounds. Too nasally for me I guess. I have even tried various speakers in the combo and they didn't make enough of a sonic difference to warrant using them instead of the stock speakers.

So I purchased a $10 furniture dolly, a $50 cover and a $5 strap and I just load the combo in and out of the gigs on that and use the combo on top of the 4X12 without using the internal speakers. It gets the controls up high where I can easily see them and get to them too so that's a bonus.

Done!

• Information