Silverline Deluxe Combo 100W comes with a 70W Celestion?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
lowveld

Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:21 pm

I was really interested in the Silverline Deluxe Combo, but going through the specs I noticed the V-Type is rated for 70W RMS only, with the amp being advertised as 100W.

My professional background is in engineering, I do understand some stuff. At first I assumed the speaker was just not matched to the amp output impedance, e.g. the 100W would be the maximum transferred power at 4 Ohm (the Silverline handbook confirms this) and the V-Type would be 8 Ohm, making the _actual_ delivered power to the speaker around 50 or 60W.

Checking online for the V-Type specs, I could only find it in 8 and 16 Ohm variants, but the actual blackstar amp handbook lists a 4 Ohm V-Type installed. Is this a typo?

Note that I couldn’t care less what the actual perceived loudness is or if the actual transferred wattage is lower. I do care of the amp is operating the speaker within its specs and I don’t risk blowing the V-Type up or shorten its life span if I run it full tilt (until the cops come and make me turn it down).

Can someone from blackstar explain the math here, and if there is an error on the silverline handbook and the V-Type is actually 8 Ohm

P.S. Note that the 2x12 cab specs are compatible with 8 Ohm speakers (16 ohm when in series, 4 when in parallel, and 8 in stereo)

RayL2Golf

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:57 am

I just play my guitar in my basement for my own enjoyment. No gigs. I have the Silverline stereo Deluxe. If I turn that thing up to half volume my wife screams at me to turn it down. I'm not sure about the number's you are referring to, but I love my amp. Good luck with your decision.

lowveld

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:23 pm

Thanks for the answer. Yeah, I have no doubt I could ever turn that thing up to a volume where the speaker power rating would be a problem without ending up divorced. They sound awesome, and I will probably buy it anyway, but it is kind of a glaring inconsistency that someone from blackstar should address.

• Information