Slash-AFD Tone?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
MartinCoxxx

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Hi Chaps

I'm after a new amp and I'm really unsure about what to get. I want to achieve a sound similar to that of the AFD album - GNR / Slash (slash slash lol).

The reviews and the price tag of the HT-5 make me really want to go that way, but will it be able to provide the kind of tone that I'm after? I'm torn between this and the Marshall Haze or some other second hand Marshall. I'm not going to be gigging anywhere for the foreseeable future, so I'm not after sheer power.

I just want to achieve a tone that will let me jam happily along to my favourite tracks from my fav album (AFD).

Help me out good people of the Blackstar official forum!

Cheers.

Martin. Image

darrenw5094

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:44 pm

Marshall Haze has been a disaster so far. Low quality from Marshall on that one. The Marshall JCM800, 6101 or Jubliee amps are the 3 Marshalls that would get you close to Slash. The AFD tone has been a bit elusive for most, but Blackstar are on the right track alright. I can't say exactly which Blackstar yet, but i am sure at least one of their amps should get pretty close.

toneseeker

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:34 am

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhoAreYou

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:46 am

Hi,

You didn't say what your budget was. I suspect, after reading the OP, a JCM or DSL might be a) too expensive and/or b) too loud. Also what instrument do you play, a Les Paul or Epiphone of some kind?

I think you would get pretty close with a HT-5, perhaps trying it in combination with another pedal? The Marshall Class5 is also worth looking at (299ish) but don't expect to get ANY clean tones from it. It's really aimed at the Blues market but, again, try it with a pedal to see if you can get your AFD sounds. Your guitar will also determine the sound you get from any amp.

Good luck with your quest!

I hope this helps,

W

black_on_black

Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:24 am

I was listening to GNR for hours today and kept noticing how similar some of Slash’s tones over the years are to the sounds an HT-5 puts out on the British side of ISF. You won’t have any trouble getting something close.

captain von rat

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:39 am

the AFD must be one of the most sort after tones on the planet ... maybe getting Marshall's new AFD100 head will help - while you're at it you might as well get the new Slash AFD signature model Gibson LP too! surely this will get you the EXACT AFD tone?

ok, ok ... i'm being facetious ... i digress ... :lol:

KKND

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:25 am

Hi there:
Stay away from the haze, it is just a disaster, i was waiting for six months for the Haze 40 and once i tried it i was dissappointed.
What i have learned so far from my various and endless tone hunts is the following:
1-The amp is responsible for 70-75% of your tone.
As you long as you have a REAL tube amp with suitable speakers, good versatile clean/OD channels and an FX loop. Pedals can produce endless variaties.
2- The guitar is responsible for 20-25% percent of your tone, wood type, thickness, pickups and strings.
3- It is all in your fingers!

I played an orange rocker verb 50 and a PRS 24 (USA) i rolled the tone all the way back and played Knocking's on heaven door solo, sounded similar.
i rolled the tone full and switched to bridge pickup and nightrain couldnt sound better, rythem and lead!

Finally, it is a good idea to look for a versatile amp which can handle pedals (FX loop especially for post pre-amp EQ) and various music styles (metal/rock/blues) that is why i am waiting eagerly for my HT- Stage 60!

Hope this could help

Thanks

Ettery

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:33 pm

You could use some of these which are found in his new les paul signature model..
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e ... i_pro_s_1/

Edit: actually thats the 2008 model.. nevermind.
oh and also why is my post at the top? :S

• Information