Footswitch help.

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Spratty59

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi, I am about to get myself a Series one 50 with EL34s and was wondering if you could help me.

Obviously the amp has 4 selectable sounds if you will but I am only interested in 2. I have a pretty limited amount of space on my pedal board and I only need to go from the "bright clean" to "super crunch" and was wondering if there was a smaller footswitch available?

Or alternatively are there any different midi footswitches that would do this? Even just like a super crunch on/off switch would be sick.

Thanks,
Joe

Bigsmudger

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:38 am

Nothing I'm aware of.

Are there any pedals on your board you can do without e.g. drive/dist?
Doubt you'll need 'em. Alternatively, I used to run my S1 footswitch vertically at one end of my board
but not actually in it - if that makes sense. Bit like a flipped L shape.

Spratty59

Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:37 am

Yeah that'd be my final port of call. If I can't find anything.

May look into trying some 2 way midi pedals and see what happens with those.

Bigsmudger

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:20 pm

MIDI is something I know nothing about

If it's any help I can get my footswitch, power supply and 6 pedals in a Diago gigman board
but you might not wanna replace your board.

Let us know if you find something? - it might be useful

Spratty59

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Yeah I will do. I have a pretty big board an SKB PS 50 or something like that.
I dont use any boosts or pedal based distortion. All about the tube amp power.

I just assumed the Blackstar selector foot-switch had a midi connection on the end?

I Wanna Rock

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Spratty59 wrote:Yeah I will do. I have a pretty big board an SKB PS 50 or something like that.

I just assumed the Blackstar selector foot-switch had a midi connection on the end?
The midi connection is on the back of the head.
Midi channel is set to Omni by default and program change numbers cycle thru : 1 Bright Clean , 2 Warm Clean , 3 Crunch, 4 Super crunch and then repeat in that order all the way up to 128
So if you could find a 2 button midi footswitch that cycles up and down thru program numbers, you could start at #4 Super crunch and then go up to #5 Super clean and back down to #4 Super crunch.
Not as easy as a dedicated button for each channel, but it may be harder to find a small midi footswitch than it is to find one with 8 or more buttons.

Spratty59

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:35 pm

I Wanna Rock wrote:
Spratty59 wrote:Yeah I will do. I have a pretty big board an SKB PS 50 or something like that.

Midi channel is set to Omni by default and program change numbers cycle thru : 1 Bright Clean , 2 Warm Clean , 3 Crunch, 4 Super crunch and then repeat in that order all the way up to 128
So if you could find a 2 button midi footswitch that cycles up and down thru program numbers, you could start at #4 Super crunch and then go up to #5 Super clean and back down to #4 Super crunch.
Not as easy as a dedicated button for each channel, but it may be harder to find a small midi footswitch than it is to find one with 8 or more buttons.
That is an awesome idea.

As far as VGAs go I assume there is no way of just going dirty to clean?

I Wanna Rock

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Spratty59 wrote:
I Wanna Rock wrote:

That is an awesome idea.

As far as VGAs go I assume there is no way of just going dirty to clean?
If you could find the pin out for the original footswitch I'm sure someone could wire up a 2 button footswitch using a DB9 connector to plug into the amp

Spratty59

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Ohhh, Its DB9 not VGA. Haha.

Ok that sounds half complicated. I am however capable soldering etc. but I usually need diagrams. I'll try and work it out when I buy it. Don't want to become bothersome.

Spratty59

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:17 pm

Spratty59 wrote:Ohhh, Its DB9 not VGA. Haha.

Ok that sounds half complicated. I am however capable soldering etc. but I usually need diagrams. I'll try and work it out when I buy it. Don't want to become bothersome.
From what you said, Ill assume each switch will be connected to a pin on the inside of the foot-switch.

All I have to do is work out which pin and then solder a switch to the same pin on a 2 way switch?

• Information