Question for HT-20 owners

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
ChrisinMO

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:38 am

I set my bias by the resistor to 15.5 as recommended by Blackstar. (According to what I have read.). I recently checked it with my bias probe and it figured out to be running at .80 plate dissipation. I think I said that right. Most bias is recommended to be set at .70 of plate dissipation so .80 should be too hot and the tubes should overheat and not last as long. What's up? Why is it recommended to run this hot? Thanks....

Hedgehog

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:57 pm

The bias setting as far as I've read should be 11.5v across resistor R221.
There's a discussion about it here: http://forum.musicradar.com/showthread. ... 20-Biasing
I doubt you'll get an official answer on here because Blackstar are very reluctant to discuss these things (allegedly for fear of being sued if people electrocute themselves).

ChrisinMO

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks so much for your reply Hedgehog! It made me recheck my source and I remembered wrong. You are exacty right! It is 11.5. I could have sworn I saw 15.5 but I knew that didn't jive with bias probe calcs.

I hope Blackstar management becomes more user friendly. I really like their amps but if they aren't going to step up to the plate, they will lose customers regardless of how good their amps are!

Thanks again!!!

Chris

• Information