What to do if you see spam!

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Admin
Site Admin

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:03 am

Hi all,

Thanks for using the Blackstar forum first of all. We are a target for spam here with people signing up to try get links to their site. We have made measures to lower the spam but human users still sign up to spam.

If you see a spam post, please use "Report This Post" button. This will notify me of the spam so I can ban users emails and stop the spam spreading.

Help us clear up the spam so you can have a nicer forum. Many thanks

Admin Team (Blackstar)

Sonofarich

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:43 am

Reported several posts for user - joiingds over the past couple days. Please ban this spammer...16 posts of crap (and growing).

Sonofarich

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Speak of the devil...there you go! Posted spam and in spam awareness post.

Come on mods/admins...26 posts and counting. We need traffic in this forum, but NOT this kind. :evil:

Sonofarich

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:25 am

This is comical...47 posts and counting.

Admin
Site Admin

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:59 pm

Removed all the spam posts from the user and banned.

Unfortunately although all accounts that sign up are checked via a spam reporting site, some get through as they haven't been reported and then spam.

I do believe however that the forum is ALOT better than it has been previously. It will attract attention from spammers as it is a popular forum (views). We get alot of traffic through the site to the forum.

tammytoots

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:04 pm

SO where is this button..for some reason I cant find it.

Admin
Site Admin

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:07 am

If you go into a post its the ! symbol at the top of the users post. If you press that it will flag it for me to look into so I can ban IP's and remove the spam.

Sonofarich

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:00 pm

Any thought into providing a more robust user registration process? Obviously, with all these Kitchen posts everyday under different/new usernames, the current measures aren't catching this. I probably flag 2+ posts a day, when this spam gets going. I like to promote BS products and the forum, but it's getting hard to defend when this stuff happens all the time.

Admin
Site Admin

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:11 am

We do have much more robust measures in place now. I am going to add some spam keywords that will require me to moderate the post before going live. Things like kitchens, nike, other brands etc.

I am on daily now checking any spam posts, banning IP's and removing them.

I believe the latest spams were from accounts registered before we put these measures in place. They were from different IP addresses also many of them. The accounts lie dormant for a bit then randomly spam on a date.

If the issues still continue past February I will re-evaluate adding further spam protection methods. I don't want to have to check all posts as this gives a delay to you all. However I will look up known spam keywords and see if we can target them.

Admin
Site Admin

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:15 am

Further to this I have banned kitchen and kitchens as spam. I don't see why anyone would generally need those words. If they do I will approve the message.

• Information