Low volume practice amp - ID:15 vs ID:30

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
ck1

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:12 pm

The amp is for home practicing. Beginner. Love the idea of downloading preset’s from the forum instead of sound tweaking myself. Will rather spend my time playing.

I don't need loud volume but is looking for ‘good sound’ at low volume. Will the 12” speaker make any difference compared to the 10” when playing at low volume?

Unfortunately I live far from a reseller so testing is not a possibility.

thephantum

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:34 pm

I don't have any experience with either of these amps. However as a general rule, if the amp is going to be used strictly for low volumes/"bedroom playing", lower wattage is going to work better. It's less about speaker size and more about wattage.

A good analogy is driving your car at 5 mph. It doesn't matter if the engine has 85HP or 850HP, you are still only going 5 mph and only using a small portion of the engines HP to maintain that speed. Same deal with your amp. To play at low volume uses very little power (watts). Having all that the extra turbocharged horsepower (watts) doesn't make the amp any louder or sound any better when you play at low to medium volume.

I would go with the ID:15.

Just my opinion though.

Good Luck!
Steve

Papalazarou

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:52 pm

the 15 watt id will be fine all-round , heck I've gigged mine with a drummer too & it held up well & with the new firmware both the 15 & 30 have all the functionality of the bigger amps.sounds great at home & great turned up too,so don't be fooled by the 10 inch speaker.
I love me id15, one of the best amps I've owned & I've had a lot :D

Guitareddy55

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:32 am

Hi, I've just got an ID15 and I too play just at home. This amp is ideal for this use, my master volume is set on a about a quarter volume which is more than enough sound. Even with the 12 patches that come with the amp they are enough to tweak them to the sound you want.

Regards

Keith

Jim Belaye

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:10 pm

My amp is the ID:15 and I play at home.
It is more than enough with the TVP feature.
The sound is very good at low volume.

• Information