HT 40 VS Stage 60

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
baddmann28

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:50 am

Hello, I just joined the forum tonight while researching Blackstar amps.

I'm planning on getting one or the other soon (HT 40 or stage 60). I've tried out the stage 60 on the drive channel, didn't have a change to use the cleans. I'm an hour away from a dealer- and can't find a 40 anywhere anyway.

For rehearsals and bar gigs, the 40 I'm sure would cover it, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be happier with the extra channel and speaker. What are the tonal differences between the two, does the 40 breakup quicker, or is it really controlled by the channel and master volume anyway?

If you had to pick ONE which would you choose? Keep in mind we go from VH to Tom Petty to the CARS, Beatles, Zepp, Duran Duran, Huey Lewis, SRV - You get my point...Mostly would be in the drive channel but the slightly broken clean sound would get some good use as well. My heart says the 60 but without playing the 40 I cant say what my ears and wallet would say. Who here has used both in live situations and which would you prefer?
Last edited by baddmann28 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CovKid

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:14 am

I can't comment too much on the overdrive sounds but my band is all 60s stuff so decent cleans are the normal requirement for me. I had an HT40, then added an extra speaker cab 112 because I thought it would help give me more headroom, then I swapped to the HT60 with the single speaker (Soloist) but I always use my extra cab with it so in effect I am using a version of the Stage 60. For me I would recommend the 60 because you can always turn it down. The HT40 ran out of legs too early on the cleans.

The 40 is a great amp though. :)

baddmann28

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:26 pm

Kind of what I was thinking, I can make it break up at lower volumes due to the master volume, and have the headroom if I need it.

Going to be a lot bigger to load around, but should sound fuller due to being a 2x12.

fallingstar

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:44 pm

I have the HT-60 & love it. The only thing I don`t love? I live in an apt. on the 3rd floor. So lugging it down the stairs. Or up. Not so fun. Lol but it`s a great amp for the money. If you don`t have any of those concerns. I would Jump on the 60. We have a rehearsal space Where I leave it mostly.

baddmann28

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:36 am

Have a guy willing to sell me a soloist 60 for about 5 bills- only one speaker to upgrade and can always get an extension cab to run with it, but no third channel. Do any of you guys really use both gain channels in band situations?

CovKid

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:13 pm

The Solist has - sort of - 3 channels depending on how you use it.

Channel 1 = clean with 2 voices
Channel 2 = the overdrive with 2 voices

Then there is a Boost button in the footswitch that can either be set up ( a switch on the back)for an even dirtier channel ( like a 3rd channel) or it can just be used just as a volume booster which is how I use it.

baddmann28

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:38 pm

That's interesting, what switch is it on the back? All I see online is a DB for the effects loop on the back.

fallingstar

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:08 pm

baddmann28 wrote:Have a guy willing to sell me a soloist 60 for about 5 bills- only one speaker to upgrade and can always get an extension cab to run with it, but no third channel. Do any of you guys really use both gain channels in band situations?
I use my HT-60 in a band. I also make use of all 3 channels. But depending on the style of music you play.
Plus whether you play lead guitar. You can make the 2 channels work also. I guess it is a matter of preference.
I like having the separate Clean, Overdrive & lead channel. I also like the 2x12`s But like I said It all depends on the music & what you prefer. If you are considering adding another Cab to incorporate the 2 X 12`s then it makes sense to buy the HT-60. For $100.00 more you get the extra Channel & extra speaker.

baddmann28

Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:24 am

Thanks Fallingstar, kind of the way I'm leaning- I like the fact the soloist has a boost, but I can always throw a clean boost in the front.

Yes I'll be playing lead in my next project, 80's band so everything from Huey Lewis to Motley Crue with some Beatles and Stones thrown in.

I'm thinking the Stage 60 2x12 is what I'll want.

Do any of you upgrade the speakers? Sounds like Veteran 30's are a popular upgrade, I'd probably go the WGS route though if I decide it needs it. The stage 60 I played in the store sounded really, really good, but again, I didn't play it in a band situation, and I don't trust completely what things sound like in guitar center.

fallingstar

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:56 pm

I have not changed my speakers. I agree that sound may be a bit different. There are other factors to consider. Such as -did you bring in & play your guitar with the amp. Or something as close to what you play? Also speakers need to be broken in. So if you decide to purchase the Amp. I would play with it for a little while. Maybe you will like the stock speakers. But People have done everything from swapping out speakers ,to tube upgrades. You can also try an EQ to shape your tone. But if I were to swap mine out I would also check out the WGS speakers. I heard some good things about them & the price is fair. What I would do is break in the amp first. Then take it from there. You can always Modify after. Good Luck.

• Information