background noise BLack star Id core 10

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
filo01

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:01 pm

JohnBNY wrote:I have an ID Core 20 and I have zero hiss. I suggest you return the amp if you have the hiss.
Hi John,
what FW version do you have?
I had a Core10 with the same hiss issue as others.

jageya

Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:10 am

i am on my 2nd id core 40....same issues and when using the software the vol control lags and seems to react slowly..the 1st id core 40 didnt do this..same firmware and all....on this idcore the noisegate on the od-1 and od-2 even on low is just unuseable...it cuts off sustain way too soon...again the last idcore40 i had didnt act like this in od-1 and 2 with that same setting(low) noisegate....i am fed up....i am bummed...it was internet sales so the seller(store) has been very nice but to have him send out a third one is just silly....he is paying for the shipping...he said to contact blackstar before sending back so i will tomorrow and see what they say..

vitorisaia

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:12 am

Any news from Blackstar about his? I own an id core 20 and I'm looking forward a solution.

DudeistMonk

Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:08 am

I have the ID Core 10 and it is really quiet. The only exception is when I use my distortion pedal but that is my normal experience with any amp. I couldn't into the software until I downloaded the older 1.5 version (or whatever) of the software. The noisegate seemed to be on low as the default setting.

leepc

Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:25 am

I just received a brand new ID core 10.
Dead quiet without any inputs.
But once plugging in guitar cable or usb cable or mp3 input, it starts hissing even turning off gain and volume.
Using noise gate in software only reduces hissing level in overdrive od1 and od2.
The hissing can be heard both from speaker and headphone which is very annoying.
Upgrading to latest firmware 1.76 won't help hissing.

any solution ?

I really like this amp and wants to keep it but the hiss is killing me...

clarethomp

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:18 am

I guess they are quite a noise ones, and usual for these ID's.

DavidGilnot

Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:20 pm

And now, apparently, the new BEAM models hiss too. Can't we find an electronics guru out there who can explain what causes this hiss and we can start modding. In fact, are there any mods on this forum for the ID Cores? I have a two year old ID Core10 and would love to start chopping it about now. Are there any inside photos of ID Core 20s or 40s out there to compare with mine?

Here's my "to do" list:
1. Investigate porting it or partially opening back or possibly sides to let the thump out of the box
2. Add tone controls! (I could use the space taken up by the rather lame ISF eq knob)
3. Give it a footswitch like it's bigger brothers
4. Give it some bigger speakers: there's room.
5. Tolex cover it and add nicer metal corners

Anyone would think I hate the thing from that list. I don't. I'm always playing through it but I want to love it and I just don't. It's an unsatisfactory box.

jrsoldja

Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:29 am

I'm surprised that no one has commented on this solution wise.
This problem is usually contributed to one or more of the following:

1. faulty speaker connection (only if the problem persists with or without anything connected to amp)
2. faulty ground wire or power supply
3. capacitor/ transistor running for extremely extended amount of time without cooling down.

I say that with a grain of salt only because sometimes manufacturers just dont construct something right at times. I just played a blackstar ID at guitar center a couple days ago and didnt have any problems, maybe you guys got a bad batch...? just my 2 sense. Keep in mind that Blackstar is new to modeling amps...bound to be bugs and set-backs.

DavidGilnot

Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:36 am

Hi there @jrsoldja. I'm glad there's some life out there in Id Core land. Interesting that you've heard one that doesn't hiss. I haven't. When mine was delivered it came with a power supply with a UK three pin plug that had a plastic, i.e. not earthed, long pin. This was replaced within a week by Blackstar with a proper metal pinned one (but I've not looked inside it to see if it IS earthed.

Speaker hisses as soon as unit is switched on with nothing plugged in and doesn't get louder as you increase the volume or gain or change the settings. It also doesn't go away when the two noise gate OD 1 and OD2 are used.

Blackstar just say this hiss is a 'feature' of these amps. Must have been the result of extensive customer research that everyone but me wanted hiss in the background. I'm so behind the curve.

• Information