Footswitch Cable Length

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Bosco

Sun May 09, 2010 1:06 am

Hi.

A friend of mine, who has a Series One 200, put me onto Blackstar. The reviews sounded good so I paid a visit to my local Blackstar dealer and was very impressed by what I heard. In particular I was drawn to the HT-5 head which I intend to put with a 2x12 cab. I've been playing a little over a year so a 5w tube amp which sounds great at practice volume is ideal for me.

So it's a done deal? Well almost.

While researching the HT-5 a few forum posts caught my eye. They claimed that the footswitch cable they had received was 10ft long compared to the usual 3ft cable. Follow the link below and search for "footswitch".

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/ar ... 0-p-8.html

Anyway, I rang the local dealer to check if newer stock was shipping with longer footswitches but they hadn't heard or seen anything to that effect. I also contacted Blackstar but had no response.

So I'm slightly confused. A 3ft cable is a little bit on the short side so if there's a longer one I'd prefer it.

Can anyone shed light on this?

gt_jumper

Sun May 09, 2010 6:26 am

Bosco wrote:Hi.

A friend of mine, who has a Series One 200, put me onto Blackstar. The reviews sounded good so I paid a visit to my local Blackstar dealer and was very impressed by what I heard. In particular I was drawn to the HT-5 head which I intend to put with a 2x12 cab. I've been playing a little over a year so a 5w tube amp which sounds great at practice volume is ideal for me.

So it's a done deal? Well almost.

While researching the HT-5 a few forum posts caught my eye. They claimed that the footswitch cable they had received was 10ft long compared to the usual 3ft cable. Follow the link below and search for "footswitch".

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/ar ... 0-p-8.html

Anyway, I rang the local dealer to check if newer stock was shipping with longer footswitches but they hadn't heard or seen anything to that effect. I also contacted Blackstar but had no response.

So I'm slightly confused. A 3ft cable is a little bit on the short side so if there's a longer one I'd prefer it.

Can anyone shed light on this?
I heard somewhere that they lengthened it in the second batch BUT, dont quote me on that coz i heard it on harmony central.

The 3 foot cord is what i got with mine and its a waste, i replaced the cord with an old speaker lead, Happy ending!

6StringBender

Sun May 09, 2010 9:52 am

Mine came with a 12'er, not 3 or 10..........

IF yours comes with a "shorty" cord, go drop $6 at your closest Radio Shack on an all metal (brass) 1/4" cable coupler and add as long a cord as you wish.
The plastic couplers are only about $2 but won't last a year.

Bosco

Sun May 09, 2010 10:36 am

Wow, a 12' cable. Now that's more like it.

So longer footswitches aren't just the stuff of legend. LOL

Has anyone in the UK received one of these?

Guitar Goober

Sun May 09, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm in the UK. Mine had the short one, but I did buy it this time last year. They might have have changed it since.

I had the same problem - wanted to put my footswitch on a pedal board. I was planning on using a coupler and a long instrument cable to lengthen it.

TEMPA

Sun May 09, 2010 2:33 pm

I haven't measured mine but it would be a damn sight longer than 3'.

Mine is a new stock HT-5S, purchased a couple of weeks ago. It was fresh into the guitar store from the supplier.

Bosco

Sun May 09, 2010 4:37 pm

TEMPA, do you mind me asking who you bought yours from?

Icarus

Sun May 09, 2010 4:41 pm

I'm in the UK and my S1-200 came with the 12ft footswitch cable although its not the standard 1/4" jack that seems to be on the HT-5.
Like previously suggested - add your own, longer cable. I'd use an instrument cable as its shielded but any should be fine.

sleepeatplay

Sun May 09, 2010 10:45 pm

I bought one of these. Works great.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103852

Bosco

Sun May 09, 2010 11:30 pm

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. : )

I'm still hoping I can track down a dealer who has HT-5 heads complete with new longer cables but if I fail it's clearly not the end of the world.

If anyone has bought the above in the UK I'd love to know where you bought it from.

• Information