How to book a black cab (not Uber) - alternatives to Gett or FreeNow?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
VictorLawrence

Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:27 pm

In a couple of weeks we'll need a cab to St Pancras station. We want a black cab, not a minicab, because they can use bus lanes, and that can make a huge difference in the morning.

Is there any alternative to the Gett and FreeNow app?
Any number you can call to make a booking?
Any local cabbie (ideally with the bigger Vito) willing to accept a booking in advance?

I'm not a huge fan of those apps because you don't actually reserve a car, they just call one for you 10-15 minutes ahead of your booking, so at that point I'd rather call the taxi directly if there were a way. Plus many reviewers complain that Gett can add a surcharge at the end of the journey, without warning you first.

TfL has a webpage but it's out of date: the websites and a couple of numbers (I haven't tried all of them) don't work

ebarinu

Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:30 pm

Strictly speaking black cabs cannot use bus lanes - other than to pick up, or drop off.

ModestoGarr

Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:33 pm

When I needed a reliable ride to the airport, I faced a similar dilemma. Luckily, I stumbled upon a local cab company that let me book directly over the phone. It was such a relief to have that personal touch and know my ride was secured. And speaking of convenience, if you ever find yourself in need of a hassle-free airport transfer, consider treating yourself to a Miami Airport Limo Service. It's all about finding what works best for you.

• Information