Another issue with Insider failing to start

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
GnLguy

Fri May 08, 2015 3:24 am

I'm having problems with Insider software starting up. The Intialising page comes up for a moment and then the page minimizes and stops there. If I Right-Click on the taskbar icon, it looks like its hanging up when MS Silverlight is trying to load

My PC is Window 8.1 based. My amp is an ID: Core 20 (great practice amp)

I have:
Ran my utility program several times to correct any issues in my registry & hard drive
Uninstalled Insider & downloaded/installed a fresh copy of Insider
Uninstalled Silverlight & downloaded/installed a fresh copy of MS Silverlight
Installed MS Silverlight first and then Insider
Ran my utility program after removing Insider and Silverlight to remove any registry & hard drive entries left from the previous install. Reinstalled Silverlight & Insider.

One post on the forum stated that Silverlight had to be download via IE instead of Firefox or other browsers. I had tried everything else so I tried it and as I thought, it didn't make any difference. Still can't get Insider to work.

Any help will be much appreciated

flimbo

Fri May 08, 2015 12:08 pm

Have you installed the latest Microsoft .net framework?

GnLguy

Fri May 08, 2015 1:38 pm

Windows update shows that my PC is up to date - no updates are reqd.

What is the latest rev of NET Framework for 8.1? Microsoft's website has so many outdated pages, I don't know what to trust as 'the latest".

myk.robinson

Fri May 08, 2015 1:42 pm

4.5.2 is the latest:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=42643

I know you said you installed Silverlight, but did you install it specifically in Internet Explorer? I use Chrome as my primary browser, and apparently the plugin has to be installed specific to each browser. I believe Insider depends on the IE variant of the plugin. Wouldn't hurt to confirm. Go to this site in IE and make sure the Silverlight plugin is active:

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight ... fault.aspx

flimbo

Fri May 08, 2015 2:48 pm

If all else fails, try downloading and installing one of the older releases such of Insider (such as 1.5) from here.
http://www.blackstarinsider.co.uk/previous-releases.php

Admin
Site Admin

Fri May 08, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi GnLguy,

It simply sounds like the INSIDER window been moved off-screen, in which case if you launch the software (so you can see it in the taskbar) and press Alt + Spacebar the window options will appear- click ‘restore’ or ‘maximise’ and the window should return to the centre of the screen. Now go into the settings menu and uncheck the option ‘save layout on exit’, this will ensure the software always loads up in the default central position.

Hope this helps!

Blackstar Product Support

GnLguy

Fri May 08, 2015 5:00 pm

myk.robinson wrote:4.5.2 is the latest:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=42643

I know you said you installed Silverlight, but did you install it specifically in Internet Explorer? I use Chrome as my primary browser, and apparently the plugin has to be installed specific to each browser. I believe Insider depends on the IE variant of the plugin. Wouldn't hurt to confirm. Go to this site in IE and make sure the Silverlight plugin is active:

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight ... fault.aspx
myk.robinson You da Man!!!!!

It was the NET Framework causing the problem. The latest rev had been installed on 4/21 in a typical MS Update but it must have gotten corrupted. I removed that Update and when I started to install the NET Framework, the Update was installed again. Insider came right up.

Good thing I backed up my patches

I'm making a document with the other suggestions so my thanks to the Admin Support Desk and flimbo for their responses. Recording all the suggestions that I see on this subject. Some have blamed Blackstar for a 'buggy software' but not knowing what will be in future MS Updates, they can't know how Insider will respond.

I know that the ID Core 20 is one of the 'little guys' in the Blackstar lineup but I've played for over 25 years and this little guy has impressed greatly for a practice amp. It will never take the place of my Peavey Classic 50/410 but for everyday practice its the best I've used. I'm kinda giving an eye to the ID:Series 260 (I'm addicted to the Super Wide Stereo now) for a future purchase - I just have think on how to convince my wife that a 3rd amp is necessary :lol:

One addition to Insider that I would suggest would be to include a simple compressor. I ran my cheap Behringer compressor with one of my G&L's and it gave me another great voice to use.

Thanks again to all
Have a great weekend

Keith
aka GnLguy

flimbo

Fri May 08, 2015 5:30 pm

Ahem...I mentioned the .net framework first. Maybe I should be da man! :D
Glad you got it sorted, no thanks to Blackstar Admins bizarre suggestion.

GnLguy

Fri May 08, 2015 5:48 pm

flimbo wrote:Ahem...I mentioned the .net framework first. Maybe I should be da man! :D
Glad you got it sorted, no thanks to Blackstar Admins bizarre suggestion.
Yep flimbo you da man too! My apology for my oversight :o
I'm just thankful for forum members that are ready to help others. That means alot

Now, another problem has arisen since I've gotten Insider to load correctly - the PC isn't recognizing the amp when I turn it on.

Will a factory reset cure this problem?

flimbo

Fri May 08, 2015 6:03 pm

Firstly check how you connect the amp to the pc.
Amp should be "on" and Insider should NOT be running on PC.
Connect amp to pc with usb lead. PC should now recognise the amp and load Insider.

If this isn't happening, it sounds like a software/driver problem with the PC. Try uninstalling and reinstalling Insider.

A factory reset on the amp won't make any difference.

• Information