Preamp tubes vs Power tubes

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Superchampable

Fri May 14, 2010 2:26 am

I was always told when it comes to buying a tube amp buy it based on features not wattage. Because if you want to play at tv levels all tube amps are going to be to loud even a 5watt.. you realy only need one watt to get that tube sound at a moderatley quiet levels. I bought my ht 40 for the features and so I can play at band pratice. So when I bring it home and play when people are sleeping I turn it way down and it still sounds not to bad. Ill eather turn up (1) the pre amp up and turn the master to quiet levels or ill keep the (2) preamp low and turn the master up. And from the two comparisons I think #2 sounds better. What do you guys think sound better? And what are your opinions of doing this?

I originally wanted to get an attenuator but I dont really know any more if its worth 300 for a decent one and youll still loose some tone.
Last edited by Superchampable on Fri May 14, 2010 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

LonePhantom

Fri May 14, 2010 4:07 am

If you can get a reasonable tone at quiet bedroom levels I wouldn't bother with an attenuator. Why blow a few hundred on something to make you quiet, you are not going to get the full tone potential at quiet levels regardless. Your ears wouldn't even pick it up.

• Information