ID:CORE 10/20/40 Recording Questions

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
quexoz

Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:43 am

I've been digging for info on this for a bit and have found very little info. I've managed to use the USB output to record and it sounds fine, but the latency is terrible and you have to get two audio devices (the Core 20 input and the focusrite or whatever output you use) working at the same time. I tried ASIO4ALL and it did not help, was actually worse than Direct Sound. I don't think it is so much the latency of the recording as it is the sound of the drum track I am playing to is delayed, therefore my playing/recorded track is out of sync when I play it back. For example, I made the following test track but what you don't see is I made the drum track, played along with it in Reaper while recording the guitar parts, then had to go physically move the newly recorded guitar tracks on the time line to put them in sync. In a longer track or full length song, I seriously doubt this would work, not to mention it's just a pain in the a....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo64dguuO5M

A solution would be to just use the emulated line out on the top of the amp and run that into my Focusrite 2i4...yes? Then I would only be dealing with one audio device (and the drivers/Windows settings that go with it) in and out. I do not have a 3.5mm stereo to 1/4" Y mono cable though, so tried a quick test with just a single 1/4" mono adapter on the end and all I got was 90% noise with a tiny guitar signal barely, sort of audible mixed into it. Would a proper cable work or is this a signal type mismatch or something? The Focusrite 2i4 inputs are for guitars and mics, but what kind of signal is the Core 20 putting out?

DanyAFS

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:15 pm

Why don't you go direct with the 2i4?

You can then use amp sims and other plugins in a DAW.

If you really want the sounds of the ID Core, record the dry signal of your guitar going direct to the 2i4. After you're done recording the guitar track, put the Blackstar in Reamp mode, adjust the settings of the amp, and then, well, reamp the track.

quexoz

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:54 am

I do use the Focusrite direct + amp sim vsts, and that works perfectly, but wanted to see if I could get a better sound with the idcore 20.

I don't see the point of reamping, when I could just record the intended sound the same way. My problem is that I would like to avoid the idcore 20 via usb method because, in short, it's out of sync (too many audio devices in play at one time). If I could get the same sound via emulated line out and run that into the Focusrite, I think that would work fine.

The problem is I think line out is the wrong input type for the Focusrite? Am I wrong about that? I don't want to waste money on cables and find out that way. I'd like to know if it will work first.

thephantum

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:17 am

Connecting the EO should work fine. By turning the gain all the way down on the Focusrite you'll set it to line level, which the EO on the amp is. You might have to keep the amp volume fairly low to prevent clipping in your DAW, but that's about it.

quexoz

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:54 am

Thanks for the info. The Focusrite 2i4 inputs do have Line/Instrument toggle switch and a pad button, so I should be good to go. I ordered a 3.5 mm stereo to dual 1/4 inch mono cable to give it a try. Will update in a few days or so when it arrives.

DanyAFS

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:05 pm

I think you could get better results with reamping. Reamping is useful because it would have better quality than using the EO. But it's your call really...

quexoz

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:23 am

How do you mean reamping? Recording a clean raw guitar tone and "reamping" with vst amp sims or outputting that to a real amp and micing it? I don't have a good enough amp or mics to do that. Micing the idcore 20 with my GLS Audio es-58 mic sounds like poodeepoo. Probably no mic is going to make those tiny speakers sound good enough. And if I were to use vst's then the idcore 20 would not even come in to play at all. No need for it.

From that little test clip I posted though, I think the idcore 20, can give me a better sound than the vsts I've been using.

examples:

I think this guitar sound (raw idcore 20 amp, no effects, bass or post EQ)...
https://youtu.be/Xo64dguuO5M

...sounds much better than this (direct Focusrite 2i4 > VST amp sims > Cab IR + bass, EQ, etc.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... jx4yc#t=37

DanyAFS

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:48 am

Well, there are many factors for why it could sound bad mic'ed up, like being in a room with no acoustical treatment, bad mic'ing placement/technique, etc. Not saying you don't have a good room or good mic'ing techniques, because I honestly have no idea, just throwing out ideas. I'm not a huge fan of that mic etiher. In any case, I see where you're going now. The EO of the amp or VST plugins may indeed be a better option in your situation :D

If you liked the sound of the ID Core more, then go for it!

quexoz

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:19 am

DanyAFS wrote:Well, there are many factors for why it could sound bad mic'ed up, like being in a room with no acoustical treatment, bad mic'ing placement/technique, etc.
All of the above, hahaha. I have only got the tiny, little IDCore 20 (doubt anyone would mic one seriously anyway), an ok-ish for cheapo vocal mic and a tiny, Hobbit sized, untreated, attic room (seen in the second video linked above), so yeah, actual mic recording is avoided like the plague. We'll see how the emulated out does when my cable arrives. If it sucks, I guess I'm just stuck with amp sim vsts for recording and the amp for practice.

quexoz

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:52 am

I got my cable today. It works fine, though it seems to sound a bit different. It seems to record brighter, almost shrill compared to the USB method. Of course the Focusrite 2i4 is handling it instead of the amp so I guess that's not surprising, but it will take a bit of re-dialing in the amp and balancing the amps output vs the Focusrite input settings to find out where it sounds best or if it makes any difference.

It was easy to get it so it did not clip, using the Focusrite's Line mode, I actually had to raise the amp volume to about 50% to get a strong enough signal, never mind clipping.

• Information