Blackstar Fly 3 won't turn on

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
LouisCalisse

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:59 pm

So I've been using the Fly 3 for a while now and it's sound is incredible but it sure does chew through batteries! I have just replaced the batteries but now it doesn't switch on anymore. I tested the batteries on other devices and they worked so I am worried this is now a problem with my amp. How would I fix it? Is there a DIY method I could use to fix it or should I find a dealer to repair it? Thanks very much, hopefully I get some answers :P

Admin
Site Admin

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:35 pm

LouisCalisse wrote:So I've been using the Fly 3 for a while now and it's sound is incredible but it sure does chew through batteries! I have just replaced the batteries but now it doesn't switch on anymore. I tested the batteries on other devices and they worked so I am worried this is now a problem with my amp. How would I fix it? Is there a DIY method I could use to fix it or should I find a dealer to repair it? Thanks very much, hopefully I get some answers :P
Hey LouisCalisse,

Hope you're well!

FLY 3 should operate on 6 x AA batteries for around 55+ hours if used continually at an average volume. If this is far beyond what you are achieving currently, we'd suggest higher quality batteries or even rechargeable batteries for a more cost effective option over time.

Alternatively, you could look to contact an authorised service center for a product inspection.

Hope this helps!

flip91893

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:03 pm

I am having this issue as well. I have tried several sets of batteries and I tried using the power supply in multiple different outlets, but my Fly 3 will not turn on. I have been using it for about a year with no issues, but when I pulled it out of the case I keep it in after about a month of not being used, I can not get it to turn on. It has been kept in my room in a cool and dry place and it hasn't been dropped or used in any kind of environment that would cause this issue. I have tried searching the web for possible causes, and from what I gather, it is either a blown fuse or a faulty power switch. The local store I purchased it from does not do repairs, nor does anyone else in my area. But even if someone was willing to fix it, it would probably cost just as much to have it repaired as I initially paid for it. So am I stuck with an amp that just quit working for no apparent reason, or is there some kind of warranty? I really enjoyed this amp, it has an amazing tone for its size, I have gotten many compliments about it. I hate to lose such a great piece of gear, but if they are this prone to just stop working over nothing, then I don't see myself buying another one. Is there anything I can do to maybe try to diagnose or fix it?

halflines

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:43 am

Got exactly the same problem. I bought it a couple of years ago to take with me when on holiday. Used it three times all and all, but now it just won’t turn on. Was working fine last time before i stored it. Tried different sets of batteries, the official power supply, but nothing. It just won’t turn on.

Quite disappointed blackstar has no troubleshooting info on it.

I can only surmise it is a shoddy and badly designed/manufactured piece of kit.

robertfsadler

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:35 pm

I had my Fly stop working a few days ago and it was on the original batteries.

It let out some weird noise like a tiny fly dying and stopped working.

Checked the batteries and all were registering about 1.0 volts so replaced all with new. Pushed the button and no red light.

I read some posts here and on YouTube and figured I'd take the unit apart and see if I could debug the board.

I failed to see the screw behind the knobs and couldn't get the front off. So I took out the batteries and saw the 2 tiny screws which I removed. Realized this was holding the board on I screwed them back in and then discovered the 3rd screw.

I took the front off and saw the back of the board and figured it would be a pain to reattach it so I just tapped the back of the board a couple times and put the front back on.

Not sure what happened but the unit then started working.

Maybe taking the batteries out for the first time shook some connection with the circuit board which is mounted directly to the battery tray. Perhaps taking the 2 screws off and tightening them did the trick. Or maybe tapping the back of the board did something.

Anyway it works fine now and you should give this a try.

halflines

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:55 am

I had a similar thought and took it apart to see if anything obvious was going on such as loose wires and such, but no luck.

I checked for authorised service providers where I am at, but they charge €45 just to diagnose the issue which is close to the amp selling price. In other words, not worth it.

I Will probably replace it with a different brand. Extremely disappointed with blackstar gear quality.

• Information