So updating firmware killed your amp

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
lurkalot

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:35 pm

Just curious after reading several posts regarding the ID Core series amps dying after updating the firmware. I was wondering what support you got from Blackstar when this happened to you.

Did you get any help, or just accept the fact and put it down to experience. If you got any help. was your amp out of the warranty period? To be honest it worries me each time they release a new version of insider and firmware, and IMO, it shouldn't.

Your thoughts Also asked this on my forum, http://guitaristguild.com/index.php/topic,1027.0.html

EDIT: I would just like to add, that I haven't actually experienced a problem updating the firmware, I've done it twice, but it worries me each time a new one comes out, to the extent that I haven't bothered with the last one at all.

Still thinking that firmware should be a completely separate download from the Insider software, especially if there's a risk of it bricking your amp.. At least then Insider won't keep prompting you to do the firmware update, which imo it shouldn't do if there's any risk involved.

Would be nice if they also added the option of updating the firmware by letting you drag it onto a USB stick and update direct via the USB port somehow, thus eliminating the use of the wrong type of port on your PC/Laptop.

"Important note: Always connect the amplifier to a main USB port (usually found on
the on the rear of your PC or Mac) when updating the firmware. Never use a front
mounted USB port, USB hub or a USB extension cable. Doing so may result in a
failed update, which could cause your amplifier to become unresponsive."

It would also be handy if BS published a recovery method should a firmware update go bad. (Assuming there is one)

lurkalot

Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:25 pm

I'll take it from the lack of replies, there is no recovery process when a failed update bricks your amp.

Please Blackstar, if there is some way of doing this, then publish (post) the methods to recover the amp from a failed firmware update, and sticky the post somewhere in these forums so people can find it.

pnutz1986

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:00 pm

I purchased a ID Core 150 amp 2 weeks ago and after a week decided to try out the Insider Software. The software got about 25% done updating the firmware and failed. After the software update failed I noticed that my amp was indeed "bricked". Tried multiple times to solve the problem (trying different computers, cables, uninstalling/re-installing etc.) but got nowhere. Even tried the instructions to set the amp back to demo mode but the amp was still unresponsive.

I received zero response on the forums about the problem and since I am from the US it has proven to be very difficult to get ahold of blackstar customer service. Since the amp originally was on backorder from Guitar Center it took me a month to get the amp, then within a week it was unresponsive. Luckily I was able to take it back to Guitar Center and they exchanged it no questions asked. Problem is the amp is on back order again so I probably wont be seeing my replacement for another month.

Never hooking my new amp up to the software again. Basically going to be downloading patches to see what the settings are for the sound I want and manually setting my amp to those settings. Very disappointed since the insider software was a big part of the reason I purchased a blackstar amp.

lurkalot

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:35 pm

So you got nowhere with Blackstar support at all? Doesn't sound good.

You could ask Guitar Center to check and update the firmware for you before you receive it, hopefully they would do that for you. Also I think it's a shame you're going to be to worried about hooking it up after this, because it's pretty good when it works, and some great patches which you can download and run or store on your amp. But I really don't blame you for having second thoughts.

I have a version 1 ID:Core 40, and have been lucky enough to update it successfully every time, though It's scared me every time I did it wondering if it would survive based on other user experiences here. Guess I was lucky.

BS really need to address these issues. I know they don't have to provide support in this forum, but you'd thing they would have at least one person who's passionate enough about their products that they wouldn't mind giving up some of their spare time to pop in and reassure the customers. Point people in the right direction to get help etc.

• Information