Headphone Amp Questions

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Alice4

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:53 pm

Hello,

I have a Club 40 Tube Amp and am trying to use it with headphones. It has the emulated output, so even with an adapter is still sounds pretty bad. I'm told that what it actually needs is a headphone amp. Does anyone know what kind inexpensive, decent, headphone amp would be compatible with this amp?

I've been looking it up, and it's really confusing...it seems like a lot of headphone amps are supposed to replace the regular amp. I was hoping for something that I could plug into my amp and into my headphones so that I'm still using my Blackstar amp. Information/suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

flimbo

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:59 pm

How about the Behringer HA400 or the MA400?

thephantum

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:12 pm

A headphone amp is not going to make the emulated out sound any better. It will just help you get more volume out of it. You'd be better off getting a small audio interface, using it to connect the emulated out to a computer and running it all through some effects (EQ and maybe a cab sim).

The added benefit of an interface is that you can use it to record as well.

Just my $0.02

Alice4

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:37 am

So in other words there isn't any headphone amp/other device that can make it so that I can listen to myself play through my amp with headphones? Because now when I use my headphones with the adapter the sound quality is bad, the overdrive doesn't work, etc. So a headphone amp would not fix this? I'm not really interested in playing it through my laptop at this point...I just want it to be like a normal amp where I can plug in headphones and play.

flimbo

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:50 am

Maybe you should have got a modelling amp then. The ID TVP range sound great with headphones.
I tried the Blackstar HT-1R and the headphone sound on that was dreadful in comparison.

• Information