HT5R power tube and the infamous issue

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
marc1kim

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:48 am

Well my HT5R had the infamous issue that plagued the early models. After drilling holes between the mosfet legs (as described in the other threads), and retubing with new tubes I was able to get about 20 minutes of play before it became staticky again. After inspecting it the resistors still look good. No burned components anywhere, I did notice that the power tube is lighting up like a lightning storm is within it. I can't help but think that maybe this time it's a bad power tube. Unfortunately I don't have the old power tube to swap back n. Your thoughts and input is appreciated.

8len8

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:50 am

Static on amps is usually one of three things:
- bad tubes
- dirty tube sockets
- cold solder joints at the tube sockets

Given that your problem gets worse over time I’d think it’s the cold solder joints (as the amp warms up the solder joints change). I’d touch up all the joints.

sa_sifat

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:51 am

I am not using my HT5R around 1 year when I powered it up its oki but playing 2-3 minutes at the distortion channel the output becomes lower and lower.
Whats the issue anybody knows that?

tara

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:51 am

Given that your concern deteriorates after some time I'd believe it's the virus bind joints as the amp heats up the weld joints change. I'd contact up every one of the joints.

• Information