Opinions on Blackstar amps?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Ongarenan

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:17 am

Hey guys, I see Blackstar is making several amps that are competitively priced with much of the smaller names in the amp business

Are they good quality?

I'm looking at getting a HT-5RH amplifier as its not too expensive and has plenty of features I would like like a good cab simulator output, headphone ot, their ISF control, and the two channels with a footswitch.

What are yalls thoughts?

Jack Russell

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi there, I bought my first Blackstar earlier this year, it is the HT-5r and i am very pleased with it was suprised by how loud it is for a 5w amp but i guess thats valves for you. The reverb is good in my appinion and the emulated out, send & return and mp3 options are very usefull, with the power switch on but Standby in the off position listening through headphones is awesome plus of course you can plug a backing track or drumtrack into the mp3 jack and play around for hours without upsetting anyone. My only bit of nitpicking is you have to turn the gain knob very low to get some blues crunch where it is just breaking up and if you turn it slightly too much one way or the other you'll lose it, i guess that is why the Mk2 has the 0.5w switch giving you more control over the gain level but at low volume. but i still think it is a great sounding amp and worth what i paid for it secondhand.

CaptainSensible

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:29 pm

If you base your views on Blackstar amps by how often posts are made to this forum, especially responses to questions, you couldn't be blamed for thinking hardly anybody uses Blackstar amps.

fender62

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:12 pm

CaptainSensible, not everyone knows this board exists, and not every musician has the time or wherewithal to be bothered, im not trying to slight you for your comment either..perhaps if blackstar owners put it out there, this site exists, the sight would get more members.

Cornish-Chilli

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:45 am

Hi, new to this amplification been an acoustic player for years. Wife has said I can buy an amp but it MUST have a headphone socket- Seen/been told that by putting the amp in standby mode I could then use headphones through the emulation socket (does say phones on the amp, not sure if this means headphones)
Can anybody give me information of whether this would work before I go and spend £800.
Thanks for any help you can give.

fender62

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:18 pm

yes
3. Emulated/Headphone Output
This output emulates the tonal characteristics of a guitar speaker cabinet and
provides a natural tone for connection to a recording device or mixing desk. To
make full use of the stereo effects, use a stereo jack to two mono jacks splitter lead
to feed two channels of the recording device or mixer. The output will also function
into a mono guitar type lead. Always use a good quality screened lead. Turning the
Volume knob (4) will control the Emulated Output level. The Master Volume knob
only affects the internal speakers.
NOTE: To ‘silently’ record or practice via headphones, set the Master Volume to
zero

Lobster

Fri May 22, 2020 7:14 pm

Evening all,

The HT-5 is a no brainer in my opinion. It's a fantastic little amp. I downgraded from a Marshall stack to a Tiny Terror & cab years ago, then added an HT-5 stack. The TT was on Ebay a week later!

I had a Series 1 45 combo, which was lovely but too loud for my needs. I've recently bought an ID100TVP head and cab which is superb. Esp' now I've found a foot switch to go with it. The online artist patches are pretty interesting too, although I was a bit let down by the Bob Mould one!

I agree with the comments about the lack of activity on the forum, but I suppose it's up to us to change that? Many years ago I used to be on the Peavey forum every night. It was ridiculously busy!

I suppose if you see a post, comment on it. Even if you don't have the answer, offer a bit of moral support! Nothing worse than checking for replies for a week and getting nothing....

STIJ

Brissale

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:00 am

The only Blackstar amp I have used is HT Club 50 (https://www.awkwardsound.com/blackstar- ... ad-review/) and it was great sounding amp.

illini

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:56 pm

Been playing two of their amps for quite a few years now. I still love them.

• Information