[DISCUSSION] Blackstar amps, whats the concensus?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
MeredithSmith

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:17 am

Hello

I recently watched another Anderton's review about the new Blackstar HT1 head. I thought it was actually pretty neat. I've tried an older model of a 40watt model and liked the gain, but it sounded solid state (I don't know what it was). I wanted to see what you shredders out there thought about them! Are they really great amps? Are they too hybridy? Please share your insights!

Thank you

Fauxsuper

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:54 pm

There are a lot of people who subscribe to the "Talisman" theory that an amp has to have certain features to be worthy. An all tube signal path, hand wiring or a solid wood cabinet, or some other feature.. Those people will never be happy with an amp that doesn't have those features, no matter what it sounds like. People who pay thousands for an amp often think nothing of putting a $50.00 transistorized pedal in front of that amp or a digital delay in the effects loop. Finding an amp that fits your needs is the most important criteria. I wouldn't worry about any "Consensus".

Sonofarich

Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:43 pm

'Too hybridy'?? Define what you mean.

You do realize that tone is in the ears? Disregard signal path and cork sniffing. If you don't like the sound, just move on.

illini

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:42 pm

Been a fan for quite a few years. I picked up the Blackstar Series One head after hearing it with Sammy Hagar. What intrigued me is how great it sounded in the house and he was going straight in. No pedal board, just a chord straight into the amp.
I have also picked up the Artist 15 combo. It is the amp that gets the most work now, because of the venues I play, but it ended my long list of combo amp swappiing. I can't speak more highly of this amp.

• Information