Speaker for Silverline Deluxe head

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
rpark71

Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:36 pm

Hi,

I own the Silverline deluxe head, and I'm using the speaker from a Tweed Deluxe amp that I built - so using it as a 1x12 speaker cabinet instead of tube amp, as Silverline more practical volume levels! But the speaker is a Celestion G12H-30, so is rated for lower power. I'm only using it at low volumes, but curious about replacing it with the V-type that is fitted to the Deluxe combo, or going for something like Celestion Cream Alnico, which is rated at 90w I think. Any opinions on that? Are these digital amps best used with what they were designed around - the V-type? I don't have much experience on different speaker types - sound wise, I'm mostly clean/crunch kind of sounds, so thought the Alnico speaker would work well for that? Not cheap of course!

(Previously posted in Silverline topic, but no answer...so moved here)

thanks, Rich

rpark71

Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:46 pm

Replying to myself as might be useful... I queried my original question to customer support and got lost in their spam for a while! But here's their reply:
In general our speakers are rated for continuous power and can handle a peak power of 2x rated power. That’s why the 70W-rated V-Type in the Silverline product is fitted to a 100W amp. The combo and the head are capable of delivering exactly the same power/volume when used with a 4ohm speaker cabinet.

It’s also worth noting that Silverline Series products are rated into 4ohm speakers; if an 8ohm or 16ohm speaker cabinet is used the total deliverable power reduces. If the G12H-30 is a 16ohm speaker, it’s likely that you could use your amp at much higher volumes and still wouldn’t damage the speaker.

The 4ohm V-Type speaker used in the Silverline combos are specially-made for Blackstar by Celestion. It’s the same sounding speaker as the 8ohm and 16ohm versions, but you can’t buy the special 4-ohm version from Celestion. An 8ohm or 16ohm version would be perfectly safe to use, but the amp would not be as loud as when using a 4ohm speaker.

• Information