Alternative tubes HT20 MK2

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
ajbcc 2

Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:54 am

i watch several utube videos of Toby Lee using an ht 20 mk2 head, loved what i was hearing.Certainly sounded better to my ears than the ht40 SE i had yrs back. (that was all ice picks to my ears) so i went and bought an HT20 mk2 head. i got it to sound smooth not too bright at home, untill i turned it up to playing out volume.( master 1/2 - 3/4 up, clean channel volume at 12 oclock).omg!! returning visions of disappointment from that Special Edition 40!! so i tried pulling the preamp tubes and swapped them out. I tried 12ATs in both spots, 12ax in one spot an 12AT in other (then swapping those). Then at furthest away from the power tubes I put in a 12AU and a12AT next to them. Finally got an amp with a modest volume without distorting. this head had little clean head room with the stock ECC83 and 12AX7 tubes. i have an eq pedal running through the fx loop to try and kill that high end shrill. ( I call it the Neil Young syndrome) got a gig in a few days..ill try it see how it sounds in a bigger room. however wish that 3 way eq with the ISF was for more than the OD channel, one tone control on the clean channel doest help as much as id like it to.

Sonofarich

Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:24 pm

What speakers are you using??

• Information