Artisan 10AE - Extremely Harsh/Shrill Tone

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
amercieca

Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:30 am

Hello all,

I have bought two Artisan 10AE low gain amps. I play classic/hard rock (70's, early 80's) mostly, and wanted a vintage sounding, low gain amp which I could use with an overdrive perdal.

The clean sound is fine, I like that a lot actually.

But when I try to get a crunchy, over-driven tone, the shrillness is incredible, unbearable. The sound is sooooooo harsh.... to a point where it is actually painful to stand in front of the amp, even 5-6 feet away from it. The treble is very, very harsh and extremely ice-picky to a point where the amp is almost unusable. I set the tone control on the amp all the way down to zero (0), turn the treble on my guitar to 3/10 and also turn down the treble on my overdrive pedal (timmy clone) to 2/10 .... to no avail. No matter how much I try to cut the high frequencies, I just can't tame the shrillness and the harsh tone when trying to get an overdriven tone. My band mates have commented on this and I don't know what to do to fix this.

This happens on both amps, so it is not a case of the amp being damaged (with the assumption that not both of them are).
I've had the amps for 6+ months now and I think I must have played 60+ hours on them (so I'm assuming that the speakers have been broken in by now).

The signal chain is guitar (telecaster with noise-cancelling pickups (Di Marzio Area T's) -> Timmy overdrive (clone) -> Amp. Nothing in FX loop.

Settings on the amp would be:

Volume: 6/10
Boost: on
Tone: 0/10
Reverb: 0/10
Master Volume: 7/10

The overdrive settings would be:
Volume: 4/10 (so not pushing the front of the amp too much)
Gain: 5/10
Treble: 2/10
Bass: 6/10

I do notice that if I keep the volume low on the amp (say volume 4/10 and master 4/10) the shrillness is reduced to some degree and the amp does become usable (albeit at too low a volume to play rehearsals).

I've also tried the combinations of (1) pushing the front of the amp with the overdrive pedal at high output volume (and low gain) and inversely (2) not pushing the front of the amp that much (i.e. low output volume on the pedal and higher gain setting on it), but neither combination worked. I've also tried other over-drive/boost pedals... to no avail. The shrillness is particularly evident with the amp's boost circuit engaged.

I've ordered some JJ preamp (ECC83S) and poweramp (E34L) tubes in the hope that these will darken and warm up the tone a bit; I read that these JJ tubes help warm-up and darken the tone. Hopefully that helps (still waiting for the tubes to arrive).

I'm also thinking of replacing the stock Celestion seventy 80 speaker with say Eminence Texas Heat speaker (which are presumed to be darker); maybe that helps as well.

I'm really getting desperate now, the amps are almost unusable, can't work with them really. But am really trying to avoid ditching the amps and getting something else. I was told that Blackstar makes great amps and that's why I went for these (bought them off Reverb), but so far this hasn't worked for me.

Any clues, hints, ideas (even up to modding the amps if need be) as to how I can sort this issue out please?

Thanks.
- Adrian.

Matkbuffyfan+

Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:29 pm

I think the speaker change will do it. Personally I have no idea why Blackstar use such a naff Celestion when the excellent v30’ are now available to all at a good price ( please don’t tell me the ones from China are not as good as Ipswich produced the Chinese build them to a spec .

lindausa0106

Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:17 am

If you want to improve sound quality, you might discover that the Celestion 70 80 speakers sound better than the Eminence Texas Hot speakers.

cdc

Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:00 am

Great article on Artisan 10AE, I love it.

kathy123

Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:08 am

You've already tried a few things to address this issue, such as adjusting your tone controls and volume levels, trying different pedals, and ordering new tubes and a speaker.

alishakihn1

Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:28 am

The clean sound is fine.I like it Flappy Bird

kalikomar

Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:59 pm

alishakihn1 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:28 am
The clean sound is fine.I like it. Some people even claim that they were seeing the 1212 angel number everywhere they looked, not just clocks or license plates.
Clean sound? Then what amps are you using? I am facing the same like the original poster and looking for the 10ae alternative.

Misa9x

Thu May 11, 2023 8:05 am

Hello Adrian,

I understand your frustration with the shrill and harsh tone you're experiencing with your Blackstar Artisan 10AE amps. It seems like you've already tried various adjustments and combinations without success. Sometimes, the position of the amp in the room can affect the overall tone. Try moving the amp to different locations and see if it makes any difference in reducing the harshness.

lucidam

Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:03 am

Hello Adrian,

It sounds like you're facing a challenging issue with your Artisan 10AE low gain amps, and I can understand how frustrating that must be. There are several potential factors contributing to the harsh and shrill tone, and it's good that you've already tried different pedal combinations and are experimenting with tube and speaker replacements.

Here are some additional suggestions to help you address the problem:

Speaker Replacement: As you mentioned, changing the speakers to a darker-sounding option like the Eminence Texas Heat could indeed help. Speakers play a significant role in shaping the overall tone of an amp, so this is definitely worth trying.

EQ Pedal: Consider adding an EQ pedal to your signal chain. A good graphic EQ pedal can help you specifically target and cut the harsh frequencies that are causing the shrillness. It will give you more control over the tone shaping process.

Adjusting the Guitar Pickup Height: Sometimes, adjusting the height of your guitar pickups can make a noticeable difference in tonal balance. Lowering the pickup on the treble side slightly can help reduce excessive high frequencies.

Speaker Break-In: While you mentioned you've played over 60 hours, some speakers may take longer to fully break-in and mellow out. Keep playing through the amp, and over time, the speaker might become less harsh.

Amp Mods: Modifying the amp can be an option, but it's essential to consult with a skilled amp technician or builder who has experience with Blackstar amps. They might be able to make circuit modifications or component changes to tailor the amp's tone to your preferences.

Contact Blackstar Support: Reach out to Blackstar's customer support and explain the issue you are facing. They might have some valuable insights or suggestions to help you with the tonal issue.

Try Different Tubes: Since you've already ordered JJ tubes, give them a try and see if they improve the tone. Tube swapping can indeed impact the amp's sound.

Experiment with Different Guitars: If possible, try using different guitars with your amps to see if the shrillness persists across different instruments. Some guitars naturally have brighter or darker tonal characteristics.

Use a Reactive Load Box and IR Loader: If you're open to using technology, you can try using a reactive load box along with an IR loader to simulate different speaker and cabinet responses. This way, you can experiment with various virtual speaker setups to find one that works best with your amp.

Remember that tone preferences are highly subjective, and what works for one person may not work for another. Don't hesitate to continue experimenting and trying different configurations until you find a setup that suits your tastes and playing style.

If all else fails, it's essential to weigh your options carefully. Sometimes, despite our efforts, an amp might not be the best fit for our needs, and there's no shame in exploring other amplifiers that better suit your desired tone.

I hope some of these suggestions help you in your quest for a more pleasing tone with your Artisan 10AE amps. Best of luck!
viewtopic.php?p=32508/Pokemon Infinite Fusion

kalylcie

Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:55 am

lucidam wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:03 am
Hello Adrian,

It sounds like you're facing a challenging issue with your Artisan 10AE low gain amps, and I can understand how frustrating that must be. There are several potential factors contributing to the harsh and shrill tone, and it's good that you've already tried different pedal combinations and are experimenting with tube and speaker replacements.

Here are some additional suggestions to help you address the problem:

Speaker Replacement: As you mentioned, changing the speakers to a darker-sounding option like the Eminence Texas Heat could indeed help. Speakers play a significant role in shaping the overall tone of an amp, so this is definitely worth trying.

EQ Pedal: Consider adding an EQ pedal to your signal chain. A good graphic EQ pedal can help you specifically target and cut the harsh frequencies that are causing the shrillness. It will give you more control over the tone shaping process.

Adjusting the Guitar Pickup Height: Sometimes, adjusting the height of your guitar pickups can make a noticeable difference in tonal balance. Lowering the pickup on the treble side slightly can help reduce excessive high frequencies.

Speaker Break-In: While you mentioned you've played over 60 hours, some speakers may take longer to fully break-in and mellow out. Keep playing through the amp, and over time, the speaker might become less harsh.

Amp Mods: Modifying the amp can be an option, but it's essential to consult with a skilled amp technician or builder who has experience with Blackstar amps. They might be able to make circuit modifications or component changes to tailor the amp's tone to your preferences.

Contact Blackstar Support: Reach out to Blackstar's customer support and explain the issue you are facing. They might have some valuable insights or suggestions to help you with the tonal issue.

Try Different Tubes: Since you've already ordered JJ tubes, give them a try and see if they improve the tone. Tube swapping can indeed impact the amp's sound.

Experiment with Different Guitars: If possible, try using different guitars with your amps to see if the shrillness persists across different instruments. Some guitars naturally have brighter or darker tonal characteristics.

Use a Reactive Load Box and IR Loader: If you're open to using technology, you can try using a reactive load box along with an IR loader to simulate different speaker and cabinet responses. This way, you can experiment with various virtual speaker setups to find one that works best with your amp.

Remember that tone preferences are highly subjective, and what works for one person may not work for another. Don't hesitate to continue experimenting and trying different configurations until you find a setup that suits your tastes and playing style.

If all else fails, it's essential to weigh your options carefully. Sometimes, despite our efforts, an amp might not be the best fit for our needs, and there's no shame in exploring other amplifiers that better suit your desired tone.

I hope some of these suggestions help you in your quest for a more pleasing tone with your Artisan 10AE amps. Best of luck!
viewtopic.php?p=32508/Geometry Dash
thank you for sharing this amazing piece of information.

• Information