Speaker Cab

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
classicampguy

Mon May 09, 2011 10:38 pm

I was considering building my own 112 cab to fit under my studio 20. I'd like to use russian birch and seal it. Not that I don't like the blackstar cabs, they're great but, I think it would just be cool to build my own. I was thinking about a 16 ohm vintage 30. nay suggestions on the construction? also I've heard a lot of people saying that the rocket 50's are just no good. I don't have a problem with them but if I were to change the one in my studio 20 combo, what would be a good contrasting speaker for the Vintage 30?

osmark

Sat May 14, 2011 3:53 pm

exact same boat here, after much research I've decided to build a 1x12 extension cab for my studio20. I'm leaving the rocket 50 in the Blackstar and I ordered a 16 ohm Celestion G12M Greenback from ebay for my new custom Cab. I found an outstanding video on youtube with a guy building a 1x12 marshall inspired box that turned out amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm_PYUFCPSk

his build reveals some good techniques and ideas, though I'll be using the dimensions and build pattern from the cabinet portion of my studio 20...

if your happy with the Rocket 50 (mine seems to sound pretty good as well) then IT might be a nice contrasting speaker to a V30 :) its all about personal taste.

this shootout video should give you a good idea of the tonal differences between some popular speakers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7t ... r_embedded

My current challenge is finding the same grille cloth, tolex, and possibly piping as used on the blackstar... if you find a source, let me know.

when you get it built be sure and post some pics :)

classicampguy

Sun May 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Thanks man. The videos really helped me get a plan about it. I've made up my mind with the ext. cab, and I think in a few moths after i build it I'll put a greenback in the studio 20. It should sound closer to the speaker setup in the Matchless DC-30, but in parallel, and a little tighter response due to the ext. cab being sealed. maybe it"ll turn out good. If it doesn't, It will have been fun anyway.

classicampguy

Sun May 15, 2011 7:06 pm

forgot to mention that I didn't find a matching tolex or speaker grill. After hours of searching online, I decided to go with Black Taurus Tolex, and found a few sites from grill cloth makers. I may go for a strait black one and keep it low profile so you're paying more attention to the amp than the DIY cab.

osmark

Sun May 15, 2011 8:46 pm

For the Tolex you may want to check your local fabric store, up here in Canada "Fabricland" has a few choices which look pretty good and seem to be much cheaper at around $9/yard than a lot of what I found online.

I'm also looking for a good place to buy the hardware like corners, rear input jack, strap handle etc. If you stumble on a good source post a link :) I really would like the grill cloth to be the same as used on the Blackstar for consistency, if anyone spots it... please share.

Happy building!

classicampguy

Mon May 16, 2011 11:36 pm

I found a couple of sites worth looking at. The first is for the corners, handles, and plates,

http://www.reliablehardware.com/speakeraccessories.aspx

The next, I don't know if it has the same cloth as the blackstars but it looks interesting,

http://acoustonespeakercloth.com/?gclid ... 7QodhniqiA

6StringBender

Tue May 17, 2011 1:47 pm

not sure if they have the grillecloth you need, but the selection is good.......it's where I got the cloth for my Fender cab

the vintage sound

each brand link offers several types

• Information