Blackstar peeps! A Blackstar G12T-75 cab?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
VENTGtr

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi. New here.

With regards to Celestions and that "spike", their harshness in that regard always drove me towards Eminence.

A couple of years ago I tried out Warehouse Veteran 30s and they're perfect. Have all the Celestion good without the bad.

Much Cheaper than Celestions as well.

Icarus

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:56 am

VENTGtr wrote:Hi. New here.

With regards to Celestions and that "spike", their harshness in that regard always drove me towards Eminence.

A couple of years ago I tried out Warehouse Veteran 30s and they're perfect. Have all the Celestion good without the bad.

Much Cheaper than Celestions as well.
Hey, welcome to the board!

I've never tried the warehouse veteran's but have heard alot of good things about them.
I just bought some EVL 12l's which i'm currently using in an 'X' with the Eminence legends and they sound pretty good.
I also have some Eminence texas heat drivers laying around which are cool but they break up a little easy on cleans which i dont want.

gt_jumper

Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:33 am

Bosco wrote:Thanks for the info Icarus.

Here's a 15 speaker shoot-out I came across on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

The G12T-75 sounds like it has less midrange than the V30?
Cool youtube clip!

But the T75's i own have more highs then the V30's, the video make the V30 sound like it has more highs though.

I Like V30's for stage and band playing, T75's for recording and Blackstar amps :D:D

VENTGtr

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Icarus wrote:
Hey, welcome to the board!
Thanks very much.

I happened upon the WH Vet 30s a couple of/few years ago while on a "Trying out new gear" bender. Wanted something that did get a good pushed sound at, relatively, low levels, but stayed clean enough. Tried out a good many and the V30, especially for the price, was the best of the lot and, like said, had the good aspects of Celestions without the icepick in the eardrum thing.

Tried a few Eminence, since I've used them for so long, and there were several I liked (Mostly used Legends prior), but part of it was looking for something new.

Interestingly, possibly not-so-brightly, the one Em I didn't try was the Texas Heat. Heard a lot of good things about them, but also that, like you said, they broke up a little earlier than I like.

Have run all V30s and liked the result, but sort of by accident, happened upon my current setup and couldn't be happier.

In my main cab (2x12) I pair the V30 with an Eminence RBW, which is better voiced for Blues/Blues Rock/Southern Rock. On their own, I wouldn't use the RWBs (Good speaker but not for my sound on its own). Mic both, run at about even levels (Sometimes the v30 a touch louder).

I'm hoping this setup works as well with the HT20 I have on the way as with my Carvins.

Icarus

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:15 pm

VENTGtr wrote:Mic both, run at about even levels (Sometimes the v30 a touch louder).
Yeah i use 2 mics and i never tire of the look the soundtech/engineer's fix on you when you ask for cabs to be doubled mic'd haha!

VENTGtr

Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Icarus wrote:
VENTGtr wrote:Mic both, run at about even levels (Sometimes the v30 a touch louder).
i never tire of the look the soundtech/engineer's fix on you when you ask for cabs to be doubled mic'd haha!
YEP! Last week I spent I don't how long trying to explain to a sound guy why mic'ing both of them WASN'T actually running in stereo. By the end of the night we'd figured out why he was confused. Not exactly tops in the sound department. SEEMED to be quite impressed with his abilities, though.

Mat

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:30 am

we ran my ht40 through a marshall 1960a 4x12 (G12T-75's), and recorded it with 2 Sm57's close miked and a condenser of some sort a bit further back, and it sounds absolutely badass. Im considering not selling my marshall cabinet because the blackstar sounds so good through it.

Check it out in our song Silenced:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 616&ref=ts

(white lie is recorded with amplitube, thats why it's way scratchier)

gt_jumper

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:41 pm

Mat wrote:we ran my ht40 through a marshall 1960a 4x12 (G12T-75's), and recorded it with 2 Sm57's close miked and a condenser of some sort a bit further back, and it sounds absolutely badass. Im considering not selling my marshall cabinet because the blackstar sounds so good through it.

Check it out in our song Silenced:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 616&ref=ts

(white lie is recorded with amplitube, thats why it's way scratchier)
That guitar tone is fucking fantastic Image Image

Mat

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:34 am

Cheers man, I'm so stoked with it! It was my Les Paul Studio (lead, solo and one of the distorted gats in the chorus, with a boss BF2 Flanger and an RV3 Delay on the lead/solo) and our other guitarist/vocalist uses an Ibanez SZ (intro, break between verses and the other distorted rhythm gat). Other than that, it was just straight Blackstar awesomeness. I should point out, that the condenser was catching the cab and the internal HT40 speaker- I think that's why it sounds so balls, the sm's got all the grunt from the cab, and the condenser caught the brighter top end sound from the HT40, as well as the room. It was back a bit and about chest height so it got the entire sound.

• Information