Plywood

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
classicampguy

Tue May 24, 2011 7:55 pm

Does any one know how American Birch compares to Baltic or Russian Birch? I know I can find a much better deal on the American Birch.

Superchampable

Thu May 26, 2011 3:38 am

Finland and Russian birtch is grown in a different colder climate than USA that allows for the tree to grow with less knots in the wood. So their will be less possible voids and it should be better sounding with minamel dense knots in it. Im very happy with the Russian birtch I got at woodcraft.com It really brought my Ht 40 to life.

Now that I think of it American ply probably has less plys than birtch. Probably 7 compared to 13 for 3/4in. So if there happens to be a void in the 7 its going to have a huge dead spot, while the birch has less possible voids to began with and the dead spot will be much smaller if one accrues.

Birch will sound better and thats what the pros use

majikmojo

Thu May 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Plywood or MDF - two schools of thought

MDF - sonically better to many because of its density - durablitily not so good for touring and dont get it wet

Plywood - must use good quality to eliminate voids in the wood - holds up better to the rigors of moving

its a comprimise depending on the application - i believe those two are the best choices though

• Information