HT 100 at 50 watts?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
toddweller

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:33 am

Does anyone know if it's ok to remove the outer 2 power tubes and run at 50 watts?

Thanks
T

VENTGtr

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:21 am

I can't/won't speak on it for the Blackstars, just because...I don't want to be responsible in any way...BUT, with...I'd venture to say...most tube amps you CAN do that. I ran my Carvin VT50 like that.

Two things to keep in mind:

A) Contrary to what a lot of people think, 50w is not half of 100w. You're volume won't be cut in half. THAT'S the safe part.

B) You have to compensate by using the correct ohms out. Been a couple of years...and I'm exhausted...and can't remember which way to compensate. Should be able to find the information somewhere though.

It's important, and not doing so, or getting it wrong, is...bad...

toddweller

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:44 am

VENTGtr wrote:I can't/won't speak on it for the Blackstars, just because...I don't want to be responsible in any way...BUT, with...I'd venture to say...most tube amps you CAN do that. I ran my Carvin VT50 like that.

Two things to keep in mind:

A) Contrary to what a lot of people think, 50w is not half of 100w. You're volume won't be cut in half. THAT'S the safe part.

B) You have to compensate by using the correct ohms out. Been a couple of years...and I'm exhausted...and can't remember which way to compensate. Should be able to find the information somewhere though.

It's important, and not doing so, or getting it wrong, is...bad...
Thanks - I realize all of the above (10 watts is actually half the volume of 100 watts but 50 watts is half of 100 watts it's just not half as loud) Just checking because there are a few amps that's it not ok to pull two tubes i.e. when biased through a single resister ala AC30. BTW you would divide the cab rating by 2 i.e. 8 ohm cab into a 4 tap after pulling 2 tubes.

T

VENTGtr

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:19 pm

Kewl. I only mentioned it, obviously, not knowing your background or anything, and there is sometimes that misconception.

Would hate to see someone mess their gear up.

Saartan

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:09 pm

DO NOT REMOVE THE TUBES

I have read a threat where someone tried to figure out the Blackstar HT schematics for modding.
They were discussing some details which I didn't understand, but one thing I do have in mind is
that they said to asolutely NOT remove one pair of poweer tubes.

They said that in the blackstar design, they came up with an innovative design linking the power tube
heaters. This makes a lot of pretty expensive circuits unnessessary, but has that one downside that
if you remove one tube, the other tube's heater will get twice the voltage is was designed for.

I don't know how much this will potentially harm your amp, but those guys (who to me seem like
they know what they were talking about) were pretty clear about the fact that you should not do this.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the homepage. I'm well aware of the fact that blackstar is not
interested in supplying the schematics, but I would pretty much appreciate a simple Do / Do not
remove a set of tubes answer by the official staff , since this is an issue to many gigging musicians (
especially if they have power tube failure on stage)...

majikmojo

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:38 am

you can with some peavey amps - but i have never heard or read of anyone doing it with a B/S
i certainly would not attempt it with so little info available on the internals...

• Information