Clean channel question

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
leatherskin

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:36 pm

How come when I select the clean channel and turn the gain all the way to zero, there is no sound from the amp. Isn't the point of having a clean channel to be able hear no distortion?

El Johnno

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:06 pm

It could just be me mis-reading this but turning the gain all the way to zero is gonna completely kill the channel, you need to have some gain on it to allow a signal in, it shouldn't be distorted if your using the clean channel, but you can push it using the gain switch to a light crunch.
Have a play around with it, but you need a bit of gain on it to get a sound out of it.

I apologise if I've mis-read what you've put on here just hope it helps a little Image

Sonofarich

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:35 pm

'Gain is a measure of the ability of a circuit to increase the power or amplitude of a signal from the input to the output or the ratio of an output signal's amplitude divided by the input signal's amplitude. Amplifier gain measures the degree to which a signal has been strengthened.'

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but gain does not necessarily = distortion. Think of it as signal strength in the circuit.

El Johnno

Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:01 pm

If I knew how to do an upwards arrow thingy me bob, I'd agree Image

I would say though you put the gain right up it is gonna start distorting, I don't know the technical reason why but it will :twisted:

I think with mine I've got it set somewhere near 12 o'clock, could probably puch it a bit further but thats what the crunch and od channels are for Image

ronnie robinson

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:39 pm

leatherskin wrote:How come when I select the clean channel and turn the gain all the way to zero, there is no sound from the amp. Isn't the point of having a clean channel to be able hear no distortion?
You should be able to get a very clean tone way before gain gets to 0 - have you tried around the 9 -10 Oclock mark

IM4Tone

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Sonofarich wrote:'Gain is a measure of the ability of a circuit to increase the power or amplitude of a signal from the input to the output or the ratio of an output signal's amplitude divided by the input signal's amplitude. Amplifier gain measures the degree to which a signal has been strengthened.'

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but gain does not necessarily = distortion. Think of it as signal strength in the circuit.
You are correct. However we tend to associate "Gain" with increasing the signal output of the pre-amp, and "Volume" (or in some cases "Master") with increasing the output of the power section. This is more of a connotation than an accurate definition. Increasing pre-amp signal strength yields distortion usually quicker than power amp increases.

leatherskin

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:01 pm

ronnie robinson wrote:
leatherskin wrote:How come when I select the clean channel and turn the gain all the way to zero, there is no sound from the amp. Isn't the point of having a clean channel to be able hear no distortion?
You should be able to get a very clean tone way before gain gets to 0 - have you tried around the 9 -10 Oclock mark
Well I am new to all of this and the settings don't produce what I am thinking of in my head. I mean there are 3 volume controls on this amp, one on each channel, a master, a dpr two volumes on my guitar, 2 positions on the guitar toggle, and another two volume knobs on the guitar. Which one you turn or push is anybody's guess. What I am trying to figure out is I am going to connect Apple's Garage Band to the front of the amp and I would think I would want to process it through the clean channel without the amp coloring the tone. I am not sure how well this can be accomplished or if it should even be attempted at all.

El Johnno

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:19 am

That'd be quite an intresting thing to try, don't quite know how you'd go about it but intresting.

You deffinately wanna run it through the clean channel, where your gain/volumes concerned turn your volume up a little and turn your gain up slowly until you get the sound you want out of it.

Me personally I'd run the amp through garage band and use the sound of the amp. That way if you wanna use the garage band effects you can add 'em afterwards.

Hope thats a little bit of help Image

• Information