Dear Blackstar.....

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
KKND

Fri May 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Stop shipping your amps with terrible quality tubes!! The first amp I bought was the HT Stage 60, sounded completely dull and like crap until i re-tubed the whole thing. It might be justifiable for a $900.

However, recently I re-tubed my S1 104 6L6 and what a significant difference.....everything I disliked about the amp is now gone, I can hear a difference between the warm and bright clean, between OD1 and 2, the ISF effect is noticeable and the effects just sounds more lively in the loop. It is a $2000 amp or god's sake!

If I was in the US or EU and had variety of brands and a return policy, I would have returned the amp in jiffy and for the same price will get a GREAT sounding amp with GREAT stock parts!

Do your selves a favor and don't spoil a great amp by settling for lower grades tubes........ESPECIALLY TAD.

Sincerely Yours

Ammar

Proud owner of an S1 104 6L6!

majikmojo

Fri May 18, 2012 4:16 pm

kk - what did you re-valve with??

i'm about to pull the trigger on a new head but the thought of retubing a new 2k amp urks the crap out of me...

KKND

Fri May 18, 2012 5:26 pm

JJ all the way Majik.

Man what a difference.

Now I'm looking at speakers to throw in the 212. Thinking of V30 and T 75 combo.

What do you think?

majikmojo

Fri May 18, 2012 10:45 pm

i figured....i played the 104 for the first time last weekend with stock tubes which were well used and i got some scratching sounds
on the clean channel and the master was up a bit too far so i think its needs a tube job....

over the last month i played a mesa,diamond and this but for the $$$ i'm irritated at the thought of valves right away so i'm still undecided

speakers- if your talking the G12T75's then yea - i love them (but i tend to like speakers everybody else hates :lol: )
they are in your face speakers though and really should be paired with something else imho....

ulquiorra

Sat May 19, 2012 2:29 am

KKND wrote:Stop shipping your amps with terrible quality tubes!! The first amp I bought was the HT Stage 60, sounded completely dull and like crap until i re-tubed the whole thing. It might be justifiable for a $900.

However, recently I re-tubed my S1 104 6L6 and what a significant difference.....everything I disliked about the amp is now gone, I can hear a difference between the warm and bright clean, between OD1 and 2, the ISF effect is noticeable and the effects just sounds more lively in the loop. It is a $2000 amp or god's sake!

If I was in the US or EU and had variety of brands and a return policy, I would have returned the amp in jiffy and for the same price will get a GREAT sounding amp with GREAT stock parts!

Do your selves a favor and don't spoil a great amp by settling for lower grades tubes........ESPECIALLY TAD.

Sincerely Yours

Ammar

Proud owner of an S1 104 6L6!
Hey guys,

This is something that will never change and I'll tell you why. When the Blackstar rep goes to the tube factory in China and says "I want tubes X,Y and Z to ship in our products", the tube manufacturer says "Ok, well you can have these premium tubes for $5.00 each or you can have these here average tubes for $3.00 each. Oh yeah, there's also that pile of %$&* over in the corner there which you can have for $1.00 each. Which ones would you like?"

In a world where bottom dollar is pretty much all that matters, there's no prozes for guessing which tubes the Blackstar rep signs up for, especially seeing they're a new company trying to minimise costs while maximising profits to re-invest (and pocket some too) into new products.

Although I agree with your grievance, I doubt this will change anytime soon.

Jono

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:29 pm

OK but I tried 2 amps when I originally tried the Series 1. I bought both of them (one after the other) before I eventually ended up with the B*. Now I have decent tubes in I know I have the right amp. If it had had decent tubes in I would've bought it straight off. You can say I bought it eventually anyway but I might not have. How many people try it with the frankly awful tinny stock tubes and don't try another and tell all their internet guitar buddies that B* sucks?

peterjc

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:38 am

I have a S1 50 head and gonna change stock tubes out for mullards. I like the sound of it but i reckon it can sound heaps better with new tubes! :D

shimmilou

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:10 am

This is odd. Complain about "terrible quality tubes", then put in some of the cheapest tubes made? :?

Everyone's taste can be different, and I have never thought of JJ tubes as among the best as far as sound or quality.

It's funny how anyone knows the details of how B* chooses tubes. I don't believe for a minute that B* uses the least expensive tubes in any of their amps, nor that the cost of the tubes is the only concern. ;)

• Information