More amp hum noise

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
JL

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:18 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new to this subject so I'm sorry if this a basic think to be discussed here...

I have a Series 1 45 combo for about 2 years now, and since I was invited to play by some guys in a club nearby my nightmares begun. At home the amp sounds absolutely amazing, but down at the club, as soon as I flip down the standby switch theres a huge amount of hum noise on every channel!

I imagine that it must have something to do with all the lighting sets, the active speakers they have running there and maybe even the freezer behind the bar has a part on it too...

I talked with this guy by the store where I bought my amp and he said I had to buy some kind of power supply rectifier... the basic model starting on 300 euros... :shock:

I've seen someone talk about a Ebtech Hum X device you plug on your wall outlet... seems to good (and cheap) to be true...

What can you more experienced guys out there tell me that will help me? Many thx in advance.

Sonofarich

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:40 pm

The stuff from Ebtech (Hum Eliminator & Hum X) work pretty good , if the hum is due to a ground loop issue. Lights and other electrical devices plugged into a dirty power supply can definitely ruin your day, especially if you are using long cable runs and/or not using shielded cables (they act like antennas). Before spending the $$ on a power conditioner, you may want to try the Ebtech stuff. If it doesn't work, just return them and get your $$ back.

JL

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:28 am

I found a electronics forum where some expert technicians find the use of the Ebtech risky because apparently it's almost the same as disconnecting the ground wire...

I read somewhere that there are people use a ordinary power supply (APC for example) to run their amps... will this work or does it involve any risks?

ronnie robinson

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Is this just a one off problem at this club only or do you get the same at volume in other locations?

JL

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Well, I've heard it on other places too but usually this place beats them all. Except one gig we gave in an outdoor site where the power to every equipment was supplied by just one looooong and fat cable. On that occasion I wasn't even able to use the amp at all.

After searching a bit and posting in a couple of forums, I've learned a little more about this behavior and I'm now 99% sure the problem his related to the crappy electrical circuits behind wall sockets. I'm starting to consider a Furman power conditioner for the future though they are not cheap... :roll:

majikmojo

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:44 pm

i play outdoors a lot and get crappy line voltage on many occasions and get some noise
i have found things pugged in so far back in the circuit its crazy - neon lights,coolers,etc.
sometimes i can isolate myself and no problem other i cant and have to deal with some hum
check it in places where you know the power is good and clean

btw - the Furman conditioner is almost a must have for a road band....

Bigsmudger

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:02 am

I've also found hum to be venue specific. Some places I'm noise free, others it's humming it's a**e off.
Sometimes the gate helps, but the main way I get around it is just to stick the amp on clean between songs
as it's way more noisy on my drive channel. Once the band starts up it's less noticeable anyway.

I think if the electrics were installed by the bosses mate for beer money, you're gonna be in all sorts of trouble!! :roll:
I've played in more than a few like that.....

JLopes

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:45 am

well, guys I bought a new Furman power conditioner for 200 euros, made a few modifications to my multi-effects pedal-board power supply cord in order to connect it to the Furman socket and... problem solved!

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php? ... d=AC-210AE

Now I have to remember the amp is still on on when we stop playing! :lol:

• Information