Solid State

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
StickyFinger

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Yo dudes ive been lookin into those series one 45 combos but im just wondering how much solid state is actually in those amps.I know the ht-5 is plagued with solid state, still a cool practice amp anyways. Then the venues are also built with solid state. And the series one have 4 preamp tubes so there seems like there wont be much SS in it but I cant find any info about it. I cant justify spending 1800$ on a amp that isnt all or just about all tube. What do you dudes know? Help Thanks

VENTGtr

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:10 am

StickyFinger wrote:Yo dudes ive been lookin into those series one 45 combos but im just wondering how much solid state is actually in those amps.I know the ht-5 is plagued with solid state, still a cool practice amp anyways. Then the venues are also built with solid state. And the series one have 4 preamp tubes so there seems like there wont be much SS in it but I cant find any info about it. I cant justify spending 1800$ on a amp that isnt all or just about all tube. What do you dudes know? Help Thanks
If you can, try one out some place. Even if it's ALL SS, if you like it as much as something all tube, it's irrelevant. Hard to get around the concept, I know, but decide with your ears and the feel more than the spec sheet.

gt_jumper

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:46 am

I know its hard to not listen to the "cork sniffers", but they are only justifying there X amount of dollars they spent on an "all tube circuit" amplifier. The HT-5 did have a solid state sound but the Venue series are as tube sounding as the next amp.

StickyFinger

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:34 am

Ya Im definitely dying to get my hands on one. Even if it was mostly SS and sounded great Id still pass on the idea. SS is cheeper to make so it shouldn't be 1800$. That kinda bugs me. I dought It has much SS but I would like to know what its doing in there. The ISf circuit is that one of the things that puts SS in the blackstars? It was cool in the ht-5 I played. I also like the dual patents on the amp but if there's unnecessary SS for 1800$ id be better buying my second choice, a jcm 900 combo for 600-800$. It kinda seems like companys are starting to throw a couple valve in their amps so the can call em tube amps and jack the price. Idk but maybe I should save a thousand bucks and get a jcm.

gt_jumper

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:56 am

Mate Have you tried one of the new HT-venue series? In my opinion they are everything the JCM is and way more. I have owned a wide spread of tube amps over the years and the Venue series Is up above many "ALL tube amps" including a JCM800.

Not saying don't get a JCM coz if that is the amp you have your heart set on then there is no competition :)

StickyFinger

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Nope havent tried the venues yet. Not really interested in a mid price amp including Marshalls Ma series. Im looking for a top of the line amp with great sounding gain that ill keep for hopefully years. Heard good things about the series one from a few magazines but I havent heard very much from owners. I dont think their very popular. Not much on youtube or independent reviews and such. Hard finding info on this SS question.

gt_jumper

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:23 am

I have heard they are no better then the venue series, Heard though i do trust the source.

OzStrat

Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:16 am

I have heard they sound allot better than the Venue series. And after putting my S1-45 next to a friends HT-20, I can confirm it. The S1-45 sounds ALLOT better than the Venue series. My comparison is based on clean tones and while the HT-20 was very good, the S1 was in a completely different class. I have a JCM800 and would prefer the HT-20.

The S1 series are pure tube with a SS rectifier. Only a handfull of high end amps offer valve rectification. The ISF control is not SS emulation. I've been in tube tone heaven for many years via a 68 Twin and the JCM800 and they aren't getting a look in. I've had the S1-45 for about a year and gig regularily with it and I still get a spine tingle every time I plug into it. Find one and try it. You'll wonder why it is so cheap!

gt_jumper

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:12 am

HAHAHA you have no idea how easily my arm is twisted into buying gear....my wife will thank you when i hear it and want it.... :lol:

OzStrat

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:31 pm

Ha! Once the gear bug bites there is no turning back! You may have to factor in a few extra $'s for wife calming.

• Information