Noisy effects loop

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
lj25

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Does anyone else have an issue with the fex loop in this amp being mega noisy? Iv tired literally every noise gate/powersupply combination imaginable! haha. Iv even tested different kibnds of pedals. I prefer to use the marshall echohead and regenerator as my effects but swapped them with the Line 6 Echo Par and liquaflange...as well as boss DD6 and Boss CH-3 but its still there! I even tried this on another Series one 200w Head in my local shop. Im still not chaning it mind. Love the tone too much! Its the best! Just wondered if anyone had found a permanent solution. The only way I can reduce it is to use batteries and needless to say my pedals eat them for fun.....

Cheers ;)

Louis - AML

shwantz34

Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:19 am

I'm not sure that its what you whant to know, but i used an ISP Decimator pro rack G on mine. chanel 1 in front of the amp amd chanel 2 in the effect loops, and i have no more noise problem.

Captain Bb

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:42 am

I use a Line 6 M9 in the effects loop all the time and don't have a noise issue.

sizzlingbadger

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:55 am

I had noise on my HT-5 loop until I got hold of a proper Boss PSU for my delay unit.

Captain Bb

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:47 am

That's a good point. I've had problems in the past with other amps where a power supply placed too close will cause unwanted noise. This has happed even with some of the proper manufacturer recommended power supplies too. Unless you're prepared to spend serious money on a Vodoo Labs PSU or something similar, the normal power supplies are all quite basic really and can cause interference in my experience.

steve

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:41 am

Try using two seperate power supplys, one for all your front end effects and the other for the stuff in the effects loop.
I have the series one 100 and i tried using a single power supply to run both effects loop and front end and it hummed alot. Tried two seperate ones and it went away. May work for you,worth a try.

WildBillMojo

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:39 pm

I think I have your answer.
I run a pretty large mains powered pedal board in front of my Series One 45, and an EHX Cathedral (also powered) in the loop. When I ran the EHX on the same PSU as the rest of the pedals I got a lot of clock noise (high-frequency whine) from the EHX (it's the only digital pedal in the rig so must have been the culprit) and significant hiss.

To fix it I actually built a DC-DC isolator into the power supply feed for the EHX, but powering the EHX off a separate PSU would also have done the trick.

Your fx-loop pedals MUST be on a separate isolated supply or you'll get earth loops, which cause the noise, allow signal cross talk, etc. Ideally all your pedals should be on earth isolated supply's (expensive though). Note the usual multiple output PSUs are often NOT actually isolated, and daisy-chain power cables are just asking for trouble.

Of course, you don't get this issue with batteries!

Paulster14

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:19 am

Another good fix is to buy a Sanyo Pedal Juice Rechargeable to power your pedals or board. This acts as a Battery with 50 hours of rechargeable life to run pedals. It takes away the the hiss and humm that a plug in gives.

Hope that helps

lj25

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have tried multiple things with this. Most of the noise went away when using a Boss PSA adapter, All of it went when I only powered my front of amp pedals with it and shifted to batteries on the loop ones. So think il stick with this option for the time being.

Cheers loads!

• Information