No sound on bright and warm clean

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
Pedda

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:53 am

Hey guys.
New on the forum and proud new user of the s1-45. Tried a lot of amps before but this is what I heard in my head when I thought about how it should sound!

After using the amp for about two months now just for rehearsal I had no sound on the two clean modes today.
tried another guitar. after five minutes a les paul and as if it had enough gain bz itself to break through the sound was back. crunch was always working. midi footswitch was on. only thing i made different was that i plug in the cable on the guitar side after switching everything on. i read that there is a circuit switching off the amp when there is no cable attached but it was in the plug but initially not on the guitar side.

any ideas?

by the way: happy new year!
p

thephantum

Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:50 am

I'm pretty sure the S1 has an actual standby switch and it's not embedded in the input jack. So I don't think that's the problem.

Since the OD/Crunch modes work, the power amp is fine. So it sounds like something either in the preamp, channel switching or MIDI recieve.

First thing I would try is disconnect the midi footswitch and use the buttons on the front of the amp. If the clean modes start working again, the footswitch might be the problem. The only way to confirm that is to try another MIDI footswitch.

If the clean modes still don't work when the footswitch is disconnected, the amp probably needs to go to a tech to be diagnosed.

Pedda

Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Like I said the amp works after I plugged in the les Paul.
I thought about the foot switch as well. Already plugged out and still with the buttons on front no change. Crunch and od working. Others not.
The problem didn't occur after. I'm just worried about the problem on the next gig?!

Any other ideas? Read about pushing the channel switching buttons all together while switching on to turn in to another faster switching mode. But that doesn't sound like a somehow reset when It occurs again.

Thank you so much!!

thephantum

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:21 am

It could have been some glitch in the MIDI signalling. Powering everything off reset it.

Pedda

Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:19 pm

got the same problem again.
any ideas. no sound on clean channel. any switching ideas?
guess i'll bring it to a tech. the thing is too heavy to send to where i got it from. bit annoying since it is only half a year old.

thanks
p

Jorgen

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:58 pm

Hey
I`ve had my S1-45 for about 4 years now and suddenly I experience the similar problem that you have (or had).
The two clean channels stopped working (No sound), but both crunch modes are still OK.
I am not using midi switching but the std. four mode foot switch.

Did you find a solution to your problem?

Apriciate any input!!

Jorgen

Enlive

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Sounds like it's a preamp tube. They're cheap and replaceable without biasing so you can do it on your own. Just use a paper towel or something when touching the tubes. When I got mine my buddy gave me a few used JJ 12ax7s to put in and I did but same thing but opposite, od1 and od2 didn't work. Swapped them back and everything was back working. Try that maybe.

Jorgen

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks Enlive,
I tried different things including changing the tubes, touching the PCB with a chopstick to detect any poor soldering etc... but the problem still remains :|
I start suspecting a Capacitor problem. when I turn up the clean volume quite high, the amp gives short spark sonds.

Maybe I should take the looong way to the tech with it.

RobVergara

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm having the same issue on an S1 100 head. No MIDI, just the footswitch. Users who took it to a technician, was the the problem solved, was it hard to solve? Here in Chile it's pretty hard to find a tech who deals with blackstars..

illini

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:42 pm

I will echo this sentiment. If anyone has had this problem and found the solution, please share.

• Information