Series One intermittant sound cut out

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
rstringer180

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:58 pm

My Series One 50 Head intermittently looses sound. It simply cuts out! I found that by hitting the top of the head on the right hand side sound is restored. I understand from previous forum uses others have had the same problem but as yet I've found no permeant solution. PLEASE HELP - I love the head but when this happens whilst in the middle of a gig it's really annoying and I'm finding I just can't trust it anymore!

ehalvorsen

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Clean or replace the standby switch.

illini

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:23 pm

This is so frustrating. It seems that this is the most common issue regarding the Series One amps. I have the 100 watt model and also have this issue at times. It has happened to me on both the clean and overdrive channels, but not both together. This has to be an important bit of diagnostic information. Is it so much to ask of Blackstar to actually listen to their costumers and help them fix their product?

My guess is that it is a simple fix of a solder joint. And probably the same location for all of us. Most companies would issue a recall and fix the issue. They have to be aware of it??????????

naledixon

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:55 am

This happened to me just today. It has been happening intermittently for a year now. In the middle of jamming - nothing. The sound drops out, and I want to say that there is also an odor (?) I have the HT 100 head and I love it, but this is a bummer. If I wait an hour, everything is right again. Does anyone know what is up with that?

illini

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:32 am

I bought mine used from Guitar Center a year and a half ago. I got the extended 2 year warranty, and I find myself hoping now that the amp will cut out all together before the warranty runs out. As it sits now, I am afraid that if I send it in, they will turn it on and say everything is working fine and just send it back. Most of the time it works fine and sounds fantastic. But I don't trust it at a gig right now. Thankfully I am just as happy running the clean channel with an overdrive pedal as I am using the drive channel. So if one goes out I just use the other.

MetallicaFAN

Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:16 am

Hi,
I have similar problem with my S1 104 6L6l Sudenly sound cuts off and only by turning it off and let tubes cold out it starts again, but after a short time the same sound cut off !!!
Reading your opinion hete I think WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN FOR PEOPLE FROM BLACKSTAR WILL PAY ATTENTION TO FIX IT !!!!!???????????
Maybe yes it is a stupid “cold solder joint/connection” and solving this could many of us know how to fix the amp.
Once more—-> PEOPLE FROM BLACKSTAR !!!!!! WAKE UP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!

MetallicaFAN

Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:14 am

Interesting thing happened just today.
I remembered like in the Agmagedon movie, the russian cosmonaut repaired their “Space shuttle” 😄.
When my amp stopped playing and cut off the power, I tried slightly hit it from side. What happened ? It started immediately play normally! After certain time it occures again and I again slightly hit the amp and again plays normally !
So finally, it seems that there is somewhere a cold solder connection, most probably somewhere on some of tube sockets. Now I must open the amp check all socket connections, clean it and try resold all the tube sockets. If it’ll be this stupid thing, the problem will be fixed.
OMG only must find some time to fix it.
Anyway, it is a pity that people from Blackstar IGNORE this posts from customers... According to my opinion, for example people from Mesa, Fractal, Peavey are very active in their forums and are trying to help their customes with their problems and questions from distance...
Think about this when you consider buying some music gear !

Sonofarich

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:49 am

Dpeabody

Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:54 pm

Just bought a used HT Stage 60 MKII and I have similar issue. OD1 and OD2 channel go dead. Clean channel works great. I can get the OD channels up again by powering down and letting the amp sit for a spell....but eventually they go dead again. Had this amp for less than a day. It will be going back to Guitar Center.

MetallicaFAN

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:19 pm

Finally I solved my problem, now the amp plays normaly as it should.
    What was the problem..? It was very simple and stupid issue.
    I completely unscrew all the amp and took out from housing. Turned it upward and tried gently push all the wires which are connected to all PCB´s. A lot of them were moving in their connectors. Pulled them out and with jaws pushed the connectors to assure better contact. Then I cleaned all this connectors and connected them back.
    Also I cleaned all tubes sockets with special spray. Mounted it back.
    I also replaced all tubes 4x6L6, 4xECC83 and 1xECC82

After completing all parts back, the amp plays absolutely normally, without any sound cut off issue. I played approx 5 hrs and everything is ok.
    Partly I supposed that it´d be this stupid “mechanical” problem with bad contacts on the clamps.

Of course potentially it´d be a lot of reasons but trying this first you can save a lot of time and money.

• Information