S-1 50w or 100w

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
mistralth

Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:57 am

Hi,

I'm looking to buy one of them and I've been trying to find for information how these two compare. I havent really found that much, maybe they are the same pretty much soundwise. The use is high gain home studio recording (apartment house) and occasional band playing, mostly home. S-1 really stood up with the DPR function for my use compared to other tube head choises. When I tested 50w version (DPR to 5w) it was still somewhat loud when turning master to around 8-9oclock for the sound to open. So I'm hesitant will 100w be way too loud with that same setting (DPR to 10w).

I'm torn in between two possibilities for purchase:

1. S-1 50w with 212 vintage celestion cab
-maybe this set is naturally quieter and I can get that kick to the sound with less volume

2. S-1 104EL34w with 412 vintage celestion cab
-how much better sound for high gain stuff from 100w + 412, Im sure there is some difference
-will it be too loud for home recording in an apartment house even with DPR to 10w

Any toughts or anyone using it the same way? Thanks!

Enlive

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:36 pm

I actually wanted to get the 50watt one for weight reasons but ended up finding a ridiculous deal on a 100watt 6L6 head instead. That being said I use the emulated output to record and just keep the amp in standby for silent recording.

illini

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:57 pm

I was in a similar situation. I originally found the 50 watt, but the Master wasn't working on it, so I had to return it. I ended up finding a better deal on a 100 watt head. Both sounded very similar, with the 50 breaking up faster on the clean channel as you would expect. These amps sound quite good turning down, so the 100 hasn't been an issue for me.

• Information