Artisan 15 question

HAND-CRAFTED TONE. Artisan Series Amplifiers.
ezietsman

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:44 am

Hi All,

I want to get a nice big (for gigging) amp to go with my HT5. I was considering a HT-20 or HT-40 or something like a Mesa Express but for some reason, the Artisan 15's simplicity (and the handful of vids I could find) appeals to me. They look like extremely high quality amps that should last a lifetime. So I have a few questions about them

For the record I play bluesy type stuff and will prob not need anything more than a modern flavour classic rock type sound (if that makes senee). I currently only have a LP with humbuckers and my next guitar will most likely be a Tokai Love Rock with 'buckers or P90s.

1. What are your thoughts about these amps (owners). How well do they handle jamming with others and gigs? i.e.I know I can get a good clean sound with the amp dimed and rolling the volume back. Will it still be loud enough for gigs?
2. I read that they are massively loud when cranked. I'll get an attenuator for this. What do you use and how do you like it, if at all?
3. Some people say they are very bright, even with Les Pauls. Did you find this to be true? How much can you change the tone with the single knob?
4. Do they play well with pedals (this is important, for heavier drive I'll need a good pedal). I have a Hardwire CM2 for boost and mild OD.

OK cheerio

jerry1953

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:40 am

I play in a band covering Southern Rock i.e. ZZ Top , Skynyrd etc with two other guitarists and use an Artisan 15 head with a Marshall 1960B 4x12 cab . For small gigs the amp isn't micd and I run it flat out , channels linked via a patch cable , into a THD Hotplate attenuator . For bigger gigs I,m micd up but still use the Hotplate . The great thing about running the Artisan like this is that I get all the dynamics of the power stage at controllable volume . I'd say these amps are more than up to the job in a live context provided you don't need lots of clean headroom ; what they do have is a very dynamic and tactile overdrive . My main gigging guitar is a Strat , although I do have humbucking guitars too , and they sound good through the Artisan which excels at preserving the identity of whichever guitar I run through it . I don't consider it to be a bright amp , in fact I'd say it's tonally very balanced and doesn't have the shrill highs of some other products . As far as pedals are concerned , the amps take them well , but if you run them near full power they're already overdriving so adding distortion etc runs the danger of making the amp sound too compressed and "smaller". I use an HBE Germania 44 Treble Booster with my Artisan 15 and that work especially well with the strat - think Rory Gallagher . Both of the other guitarists in my band use 100 watters but , in real life gigging situations , can never use the power . I also have a Marshall VM 50 watt head and a Cornell Plexi 45/50 - the latter also sounds great with the attenuator but doesn't have the bluesy sweetness of the Blackstar . I hope this helps you .

VENTGtr

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:04 am

Not an Artisan owner, but did want to say, Jerry, nice write up.

ezietsman

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi jerry,

thanks for the comments. I got to test one in the shop here and I believe everything you say. However, I don't think I'll get one, I do want the option of having a clean sound and the artisan 15 don't give that with humbuckers at jamming/gigging volumes. Its a pity, I really like it so it looks like I'll be in the market for something like the HT-40.

cheers

lefty69

Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:21 am

I just got a Artisan 15 a week ago found a used one at GC for $775 I sold my Fender 65 RE super reverb for it and I'm totally happy with it no regrets at all. I played a gig the other nite with it and only had it on the 5 watt mode volume between 1 o'clock and with Les Paul and 3 o'clock with Strat and it was plenty loud enough I used a Fulldrive 2 mosfet for boosting leads it sounded awesome very happy with it. It really doen't get much louder past 12:00 just fatter and more overdriven. with the Super I felt I never could get it cooking onstage without being way too loud. With the Artisan I can get super PHAT tone at very managable volume. I run it with a Teece RMC custom wah Fulltone mini deja vibe Fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet and Boss tuner pedal I can get most any tone out of this set up with this amp though I may try adding a echo or delay pedal for a litlle ambience anybody have suggestions on a good delay pedal that sounds good thru the Artisan ?

• Information