Artisan 30H Ohm Setting

HAND-CRAFTED TONE. Artisan Series Amplifiers.
pauldf

Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Guys

Hopefully someone can help me with this question. I have an Artisan 30H that I usually run into it's own 4x12 but I am after getting a 2x12 Cab (not an Artisan Cab) for our smaller gigs. The thing is I am not sure what the Ohm setting on the head should be to match up with this cab. I really don't want to blow the amp or cab. I know the Artisan gives me the choice of 4, 8 or 16 Ohm settings and all I can find on the cab is the following:

2x 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, 120watts/8ohm, 2x 60watts/16ohm, mono/stereo (switchable)

So they have the same Vintage speakers as the Artisan cab, but what should I set the Ohms to on my head so that I don't damage either? Something is telling me that the Ohms on the Artisan head should be set to 8, to get the full whack out of the cab but again I am only guessing so I really need some help with this.

Thanks guys for any help you can give.

IM4Tone

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Run a speaker cable from the amp's 1X8 ohm setting to the cab's mono jack and you're set.

If you wanted to (but it would serve no useful purpose for a mono amp) you could run two speaker cables from the amp to the stereo input of the cab. The amp would see a total impedance of 8 ohms and the cab would have each speaker w/ 16 ohms which yields 8 ohms total for a parallel connection.

pauldf

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks a million for replying, you are a legend :D I taught it must be the 8 Ohm but I just needed to check.

• Information