Artisan 15 for HT40 plus 1x12 cab?!

HAND-CRAFTED TONE. Artisan Series Amplifiers.
r.strefford

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 pm

Guys,

I need some input! I'm thinking of trading in my Artisan 15 and getting a HT40 combo (probably replace the stock speaker with an Alnico Gold).

I find the Artisan too loud for some venues that we play, always mic'ed but often small stages.

Not had chance to play the HT40 yet but it seems like it has a feature set I'd make good use of. I'm currently running the ht dual into the front of my Artisan but find the lack of master volume can be a real problem with stage volume.

Any thoughts?

Also, someone from Blackstar might be able to help me with this! Is the Alnico Gold gonna sound good with the HT40? I'm unsure whether it'll be voiced correctly for that speaker.

Thanks,

Rob

Marco_Lwb

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:43 am

Hi Rob,
I play in a blues band using the HT-40 ! I've used it live two times in small clubs and it sounded very good (not mic'ed up).
I don't use too much gain. I usually set the clean channel volume to max and the lead channel gain at 11 o'clock. For solo parts, I use the MXR Microamp in the FX loop. The master volume is set at 10 or 11 o'clock. A very simple and GOOD sounding setup ! (....at least to my ears)

I've no experiences with the Alico Gold speakers.. The only speaker I've used (not considering the stock one.. :-) ) with the HT-40 is the Celestion Vintage 30 in a 1x12 external closed back cab. It sounded more "rounded" compared with the stock seventy80....I liked it very much and I'm planning to replace the stock one with a V30 !

At low volume levels, it sound good too ! I use it mic'ed with an SM57 for home recording !

Sorry for my English.. :-)

Ciao!
Marco

r.strefford

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:46 am

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your reply and also for your video demos on youtube! You have great tone! Reminds me of John Mayer's lead tones. Also, your English is great!

It's also convinced me to really consider the HT40 as a replacement for my Artisan 15.

I both sing and play in a rock band and we sometimes have some tricky changes between verse and chorus sections. I end up having to tap dance whilst singing, which is rather difficult at times.

The HT40 would also allow me to get a Gig Rig or Carl Martin combinator switching system to simultaneously switch out loops of pedals and change amp channel. Doing this using the Artisan would not be possible as there isn't really a clean channel, it's all relative to guitar volume.

In an ideal world I'd lower the guitar volume, but again this is tricky whilst singing and still involves some tap dancing.

It's a shame they don't make a HT40 head, I already have a great sounding 4x12 cab loaded with Celestion Heritage G12H's. Any one compared the HT20 head with a HT40 combo?

How's the clean headroom on the HT20?

Thanks,

Rob

lefty69

Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:52 am

I USE to own the HT 60 2-12 I put celestion V30's in it but was never happy with it. It's very versitale with 3 channels and boost all footswitchable but I found the drives way too compressed and modern sounding for my needs (blues, classic rock) I have the Artisan 15 now and I'm far happier with it. It has 10 times the tone than the HT series not that they are bad amps but the Artisan is way more organic compared to the over compressed HT. Just my 2 cents to each his own. I just played a gig on the 5 watt mode with volume on just past half and had no problem being too loud.

• Information