Is my Artisan 30 lacking gain??...

HAND-CRAFTED TONE. Artisan Series Amplifiers.
smogfalls

Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:16 am

Hello all,

I recently acquire a lovely Artisan 30 combo, and I'm totally in love with it's tone and looks. But I have one issue, the second channel doesn't provide quite as much gain as I'd like... and I'm certainly not a high gain, metal

kinda guy... I'm just looking to get that 70's rock tone that I've heard this amp can deliver. But the gain, even when maxed, really isn't enough for this at all. I'm almost wondering if there's something wrong with it, or if the

tubes need replacing or biasing a little hotter maybe?

I have a lovely old Marshall JMP also, and when maxed out, that doubles the gain the Artisan can dish out. And after hearing all the reviews about how it can deliver that old Marshall tone, I'm left a little bemused!

I know I could boost it with a pedal, and trust me, I have plenty of lovely pedals to do so with... I'm currently using a D*A*M Sonic Titan, a Klon and a Paul C Timmy. But I'd like more gain without the need for pedals. I feel

like there's just something slightly missing, which is a great shame cos I'm really in love with the general character, tone and clean sound this amp can offer.

Help is much appreciated.

Xan :)

lucknow1856

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:34 pm

smogfalls wrote:Hello all,

I recently acquire a lovely Artisan 30 combo, and I'm totally in love with it's tone and looks. But I have one issue, the second channel doesn't provide quite as much gain as I'd like... and I'm certainly not a high gain, metal

kinda guy... I'm just looking to get that 70's rock tone that I've heard this amp can deliver. But the gain, even when maxed, really isn't enough for this at all. I'm almost wondering if there's something wrong with it, or if the

tubes need replacing or biasing a little hotter maybe?

I have a lovely old Marshall JMP also, and when maxed out, that doubles the gain the Artisan can dish out. And after hearing all the reviews about how it can deliver that old Marshall tone, I'm left a little bemused!

I know I could boost it with a pedal, and trust me, I have plenty of lovely pedals to do so with... I'm currently using a D*A*M Sonic Titan, a Klon and a Paul C Timmy. But I'd like more gain without the need for pedals. I feel

like there's just something slightly missing, which is a great shame cos I'm really in love with the general character, tone and clean sound this amp can offer.

Help is much appreciated.

Xan :)
I found the same thing and like you was even wondering if it might be a fault - the available gain on Channel 2 only begins to approach those 70s rock levels with vol and gain knobs turned up high, and even then the HT Boost helps, at which point it all gets a bit loud for my small-gig purposes, let alone home use.

To be honest I've tended to use pedals for lead anyway and the other sounds in the Artisan are exceptionally good so this isn't a huge problem for me but I'd also like to know if others have found the same. I was hoping to find a YouTube demo of someone playing the Artisan 30 straight through Channel 2 for comparison but there's not much on there.

tiger

Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:57 am

I've just bought one of these and have used it at a band rehearsal. I agree Channel 2 doesn't have huge amounts of gain but still sounds great. I've used it with a PRS Singlecut plugged into the Hi input using the 10W setting - I got a good crunch for most classic rock applications. For lead sounds I used a pedal to boost the signal.

For heavier rock I guess a overdrive pedal might be needed....

Perhaps one way of increasing the gain is to look at changing the preamp valves to higher gain versions?

• Information