Alternative speakers for the Artisan 15

HAND-CRAFTED TONE. Artisan Series Amplifiers.
Plustone

Thu May 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Has anyone tried a different speaker in the Artisan 15? If so, what and did you think it was an improvement?

Does anyone have a view as to the effect of swapping the standard Celestion Vintage G12M for a Celestion Gold?

6StringBender

Fri May 14, 2010 10:20 am

What sort of tone are you going for?
I realize the Artisan 15 is a MUCH better amp, but my HT-5H is pushing a 12" Jensen "Vintage Ceramic" and i'm absolutely delighted with it.........my tones are mostly Blues & Country though.

Plustone

Fri May 14, 2010 11:21 am

Thanks for the reply, 6strinbender.

I was impressed when I first got the amp about 3 months ago and I am still pleased with the tone :roll:. The question was prompted by the usual wish to improve, even though what I have is good, and curiosity to see if anyone else had had similar thoughts. In particular, the Celestion Gold is supposed to be the pinnacle (it's certainly the most expensive!) and if there is anything I would like to change, it would be to have a little more clean headroom.

Anyone's thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

yardbird mac

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:40 am

I just bought one of these amps today. I had a slightly broken in EMINENCE Cannabis Rex that was looking for someplace to go and something to do, so I switched out the Celestion and installed the CR. It changed the voicing a little bit (leaning a little more toward a FENDER sound) It will be interesting to hear this amp with the EMINENCE speaker fully broken in. One thing I can tell you is that already, it's smoother and less harsh sounding. Plus, I noticed a slight volume increase.

Plustone

Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:34 am

Thanks, Yardbird Mac; that's interesting and I look forward to the update once the new speaker has been broken in.

heynathb

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:17 pm

hi there, ive just bought the 15h and 2x12 artisan cab, am loving it as ive owned the combo version before, anyone thought of using alnico blues in a artisan cab? ive heard there ment to be very good, would be interested in any thoughts, also does anyone use there a15 with an A/B box? any issues with that? Thanks Nath.

Plustone

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:30 am

heynathb wrote:... also does anyone use there a15 with an A/B box?
Yes, I have an A/B box as part of my pedal board. One output goes into channel 1's high input and the other goes into channel 2's low input. I have them set up so that channel 1 provides a mellowish clean sound and channel 2 a more aggressive, biting sound. I used to have an A/B/Y box, but found I couldn't find a use for the 2 channels together and so I swapped it for the A/B, which takes up less room on the pedal board

heynathb

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi thanks for the info, I'm planning to run the same thing with a ht dual for my heavier sounds. Any thoughts on other great sounding overdrives with this amp? I'm also trying to make my mind up on which channel sounds better for the crucnh tone. Nath.

Plustone

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:05 pm

heynathb wrote:Any thoughts on other great sounding overdrives with this amp?
I use Fulltone OCD, but this is down to personal taste, Nath, you'll have to decide for yourself.
heynathb wrote:I'm also trying to make my mind up on which channel sounds better for the crucnh tone.
Once again, Nath, it's personal taste, so you'll have to take responsibility :shock: .

heynathb

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:24 pm

It always boils down to responsibility! 8) No problem, :shock:

• Information