Waterfall noise in Artisan 15

HAND-CRAFTED TONE. Artisan Series Amplifiers.
Amerigo

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:09 am

Hi forum folks

My Artisan 15 has been quiet like a church mouse since I bought it. Yesterday, it started sounding like a waterfall, on both channels. Channel 2 being worse than channel 1.

Of course I could change all tubes and see what happens, but what is the most likely reason? Pre-amp tubes? Power-amp tubes?

Thanks

David

thephantum

Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:26 pm

It could be either, but if I had to to guess it's the output tubes. I don't own one, but I believe each channel is isolated from the other. So if it was a preamp tube, it would only be on one channel.

In addition, since it's a Class A amp, there is no PI (Phase Inverter) tube. So that can't be the problem either.

If the amp is out of warranty, my advice would be to get a set of output tubes pop them in and see if the noise stops. If it does, then you just need to have the amp biased. If it doesn't, then it needs to get diagnosed. Either way, it needs to go to a tech...but at least you'll know whether it's tubes or not.

Amerigo

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:14 pm

Thanks, @thephantum. You're right, can't be the preamp tubes. I order some new tubes from TAD, they'll arrive in a couple of days.

You know what helps? If I put my Soldano "Jet City" attenuator in between, the amp goes silent. The -3dB seem to help 8-) http://www.jetcityamplification.com/#!jettenuator/c12ve

Cheers

David

• Information