Raspy noise in the decay on Channel 2 (artisan 30)

HAND-CRAFTED TONE. Artisan Series Amplifiers.
Overmann

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:39 pm

Hi there,

I recently bought my first amp. It's a Blackstar Artisan 30 tube amp. I've been playing for many years, but it's been a long time since I've played on a proper amp (I mostly use simulations for recording).

While the amp sounds very good there is a strange raspy sound when the amp starts to distort. The sound does not sound like tubes driven hard to me, but as I said I'm not very familiar with these things. I have attached a link to a soundfile where I just play some chords and in the decay of the tone you can hear the noise start to appear. Sound almost like a piece of paper or plastic vibrating or something.

When the gain is set high the rasp occurs, no matter the volume. If I turn the gain down I can play insanely loudly without hearing any rasp. I tried changing all the tubes which made the amp crunch up a little earlier but didn't make the rasp go away.

If anyone here with knowledge of these things could take the time to listen to the clip and let me know if this is normal I would be very greatful!

http://www.jottacloud.com/p/driftwood/d ... b33ed6c34f

- Overmann

• Information