HT40, or 60 Studio or Soloist

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
DrKarnivore

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:33 pm

I`m in for a new gigging amp, and I`m torn between a 50watt JVM 1x12 combo, a HT40 or one of the HT60`s.

I`d love the HT60 in just head format, that would be perfect, it`s a damn shame they don`t make one. I`m mainly worried about the weight of the thing as it will be in and out of practice rooms and venues (and my car). Which is what warmed me to the HT40, but then I`m losing a channel.

Any feelings on the above?

I already have a HT5, but that only just copes in band practice volume wise (sounds tasty though!).

gt_jumper

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:41 pm

DrKarnivore wrote:I`m in for a new gigging amp, and I`m torn between a 50watt JVM 1x12 combo, a HT40 or one of the HT60`s.

I`d love the HT60 in just head format, that would be perfect, it`s a damn shame they don`t make one. I`m mainly worried about the weight of the thing as it will be in and out of practice rooms and venues (and my car). Which is what warmed me to the HT40, but then I`m losing a channel.

Any feelings on the above?

I already have a HT5, but that only just copes in band practice volume wise (sounds tasty though!).
Hi, man if the HT-5 is coping in a band situation maybe even look at the HT-20 head, mine copes very well in the band environment with 2 guitars. They are weighty suckers though but all good valve gear is.

Let us know how you go and get pics of your gear up! :)

DrKarnivore

Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:06 pm

I did think about that, but I was a bit nervous about clean headroom from the 20 watter. How is it?

I`ve just started gigging again after a 9 year gap, and I mainly used to use 50 watt Marshalls back then, so was a bit concerned about the 20 watter breaking up to early, 20 watts in a tube amp in the 90`s wasn`t very common.

The HT5 wasn`t coping BTW, the other guitarist in the band uses a MkV, and admittedly the HT5 sounded great, but couldn`t be heard, even through a 2x12.

gt_jumper

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:02 pm

my 20 cuts through much better then the other guitarist who is running a solid state bass head and a 4x12. but its pretty much on its tippy toes as far as headroom on the gain channel. the clean channel is extra loud and can go way over adrummer. unless you really need the 3 channels i reckon the 40 sounds like your amp.

toneseeker

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:08 am

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrKarnivore

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:57 am

Has anyone played the HT20 or 40 in a pub sized venue at all?

The 40 would cope fine, I`d really prefer the 20 head, but I suppose I could whack another 1x12 under the HT40.

I`m going to shoot them out against a JVM next week, I`ll let you know how it goes.

gt_jumper

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:17 am

DrKarnivore wrote:Has anyone played the HT20 or 40 in a pub sized venue at all?

The 40 would cope fine, I`d really prefer the 20 head, but I suppose I could whack another 1x12 under the HT40.

I`m going to shoot them out against a JVM next week, I`ll let you know how it goes.
I'm keen to hear results here dude!

DrKarnivore

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:26 pm

I did what I call a '3rd Party' demo in a shop the other week. It`s basically when I get the shop dude to play stuff to give an overall impression of the amp without the tone being coloured with my own playing style. I was impressed by all to be honest, some really good sustain from the HT`s though, but being a Marshall freak from years back (I`ve owned about 7 high end Marshalls) I kept getting swayed by the JVM. I do think the JVM`s have something over the HT`s in terms of crunch and higher gain tones though, something a bit more throaty, I found the HT`s to be a bit drier (they do remind me a bit of my old VHT 50 watt Pittbull). But then again, the HT`s are cheaper and I certainly like supporting the new kid on the block in Blackstar.

I think all should be revealed when I do my own demo with one of my guitars though.

I`ll let you know.

gt_jumper

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:29 pm

DrKarnivore wrote:I did what I call a '3rd Party' demo in a shop the other week. It`s basically when I get the shop dude to play stuff to give an overall impression of the amp without the tone being coloured with my own playing style. I was impressed by all to be honest, some really good sustain from the HT`s though, but being a Marshall freak from years back (I`ve owned about 7 high end Marshalls) I kept getting swayed by the JVM. I do think the JVM`s have something over the HT`s in terms of crunch and higher gain tones though, something a bit more throaty, I found the HT`s to be a bit drier (they do remind me a bit of my old VHT 50 watt Pittbull). But then again, the HT`s are cheaper and I certainly like supporting the new kid on the block in Blackstar.

I think all should be revealed when I do my own demo with one of my guitars though.

I`ll let you know.

I'd kill a man for a JVM410......

MusashiChan

Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:01 pm

I had one of the first JVM combos and sell it back. Too heavy to carry, too much sounds (if it's what you are looking for ok, otherwise it's boring) and i remember it had no real personality.
A great amp to record in a studio with its two very good HPs but for a gigging amp...

The Artisan 30 i bought last week was a combo, mounted as a head by the precedent owner...maybe you could choose your amp for the sound, take the HT 60 if you like it, and just buy an empty box for the head. You'll have an amp easy to handle and the sound you want...

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/wccabs.htm#head

• Information