The Definitive valve / tube change guide

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
AscottAudio

Wed May 09, 2012 1:40 am

HT 60

After almost a year of regular but not intense use my HT60 seems to have done what many others have spoken about. It started to make some noise on the overdrive channels..and then yesterday the normally lush sound had a fuzziness I wasn't liking.

I had some JJ's pre amp tubes from another amp that hadn't done much time..and a new set of Elecftro Harmonix EL 34's..so I did the swap..

Bingo..amp was back to sounding great if not a tad better than before.

The power tubes were a matched pair.

From what I read in other threads a re-bias should be done..she sounds ok and it assume the pre's would have been the issue.

Not sure if I should leave the New Electro Harmonics in or put the originals back ??...the worst that can happen not re-biasing is that the tubes wear out quicker yes???

Cheers.

toddweller

Fri May 11, 2012 11:07 pm

My favorite pre amp tube bar none, are mullards. Which I put in my 100 right after I got it. Interestingly enough in the link that Snowman gave us (Thanks Snowman) thetubestore is now packaging mullards with their name on them (calling them the Preferred Series 7025) in the premium tube package for the HT 100. To me the mullards are the most transparent, full range pre's that I've heard. I have a supply of about every 12ax7 one can imagine, but the mullards sound the best to me. I do like the tung-sols and JJ's too. They both have a pleasing and unique character to them.

gypsyblues73

Sat May 12, 2012 12:23 am

I was gonna make a separate thread for this, then I thought it may be helpful info for a "tube guide" thread. Here's my question:

Basically, what are V1 and V2 for, and where are they located in the HT-60?

I replaced my tubes in mine maybe a year ago or more, and I researched and educated myself on it back then since I was a tube amp newbie...and now my old age has kicked in or something and I can't remember a damn thing :) I liked the way the new tubes sounded for the stuff I was playing then in a cover band, but now I'm wanting to change the "gain stage" tube for something over than the 12AX7, to get more of a lower-gain classic rock kind of tone. I'm also doing a lot of recording, and the JJ 12AX7 I have in there now is way over the top, even with the gain turned down low, since recording is "enhancing" the gain beyond what it actually sounds like "live". I got a JJ ECC81, JJ ECC832, and an EHX 12AY7 to play around with and see which one gives me what I'm looking for. So for just changing the gain of the amp, I only want to change V2, right? Part of my confusion is also coming from a tube dealer who told me to change V1, but I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about, as far as the HT-60 goes.

vbshredder

Sat May 12, 2012 12:46 am

In the HT20, it's V1=Clean channel tube, V2=Distortion channel tube, one for each channel. Does the 60 have a 3rd tube for the phase inverter?

gypsyblues73

Sat May 12, 2012 12:49 am

vbshredder wrote:In the HT20, it's V1=Clean channel tube, V2=Distortion channel tube, one for each channel. Does the 60 have a 3rd tube for the phase inverter?
Yes, it does have a V3. Unless someone can correct me though, V1=clean and V2=distortion on the HT-60 as well though, right?

gypsyblues73

Sat May 12, 2012 4:55 am

Nevermind, I think I got my answer. I don't even remember what my original intention was when I ordered those tubes LOL But I think I'm going to try the JJ ECC832 and EHX 12AY7 in V2 and see what they sound like, and the JJ ECC81 in V3 (I had put a JJ ECC82 in it a while back).

boxofspiders

Sat May 12, 2012 6:17 am

Quick question. I have 2 TungSol EL34Bs to install in my HT-40. I'll need them biased, also. A local tech guy tells me he can do it for $50. Does that sound reasonable? Where could I get specific info to do it myself?

KKND

Fri May 18, 2012 3:59 pm

JJ all the way (power and pre) on both the Ht stage 60 and the current 104 6L6. I tried SED 6l6....nothing compared to the JJ's. I tried EHX, Tungsol and JJ for the pre amp...JJ FTW.

:D

toddweller

Fri May 18, 2012 6:00 pm

boxofspiders wrote:Quick question. I have 2 TungSol EL34Bs to install in my HT-40. I'll need them biased, also. A local tech guy tells me he can do it for $50. Does that sound reasonable? Where could I get specific info to do it myself?
I think it sounds fine. One local store here has a $60 minimum bench charge.

boxofspiders

Fri May 18, 2012 6:35 pm

I called a local amp maker (Swampworks, check them out. They make incredible amps, although expensive) and he suggested I try them without biasing, for a myriad of reasons. I did and it works great. Saved myself time and money. I installed Tung Sol EL34Bs. He also said that JJs are great because not only do they sound good but they are very durable. I might try JJs all across the board the next time but I am pretty happy with the Tung Sols.

• Information