Clean boost into HT20 clean channel?

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
Hedgehog

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm trying to address what I consider the weakest area of my HT20, the "just breaking up" sound. I really like the clean and drive sounds of the amp and in every other way it does exactly what I need (even sounds good at reasonable volume at home), but it's really hard to get that bluesy/slightly-broken-up tone. I'm using a 12AY7 in the drive preamp, which helps a bit, but it still goes from utterly clean to filth very quickly. The clean channel is almost impossible to break up.

I've been thinking about various options:
1. Buy or build another more traditional amp for that sort of stuff.
2. Use a pedal to get the sound I want into a clean amp.
3. Use a boost to provoke the clean preamp into breakup.

I don't really want another amp if I can get all I want out of the HT, but I've not completely ruled that out (quite fancy building some sort of Fender Champ type thing, but with a power scaler, and I'd like an Orange, etc, but that's the start of a slippery slope to a silly amount of kit!).
I like the idea of pushing the clean channel of the HT20 with a boost, but before I buy/build a boost pedal has anybody on here tried it - does it sound good or is the preamp design of the HT not really suitable for doing that?

Any hints/opinions welcome :)

Rob

Sonofarich

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:12 am

I have a HT-20 combo and use both a Timmy and a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive for the low gain stuff through the clean channel. Both work exceptionally well and are highly recommended. My Xotic AC Plus also does a great low gain/transparent OD, but also has a second cascading channel that stacks the two ACs. If I didn't have the other two ODs, I would keep this for it's versatility. I'm thinking about putting the Xotic on craigslist, since I can recoup the most $$ from it (it is the most expensive) and it overlaps/duplicates the others. All can do a clean boost if you dial down the gain.

I would check out soundclips of all three to see which serves you the best.

Note: the Xotic website doesn't really show how well the AC Plus does transparent low gain OD. You may want to check youtube.

Also heard good things about the TC Electronics Spark Booster. I imagine it is very similar to the above.

Hedgehog

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look at some of those. So are you using the pedal(s) to produce the mild drive sound (so the amp is just totally clean amplifying the pedal's sound) or are you driving the clean preamp with a boost? I'm curious to know if the clean channel preamp in the HT can be made to break up nicely with a clean signal boost rather than just using it as a clean amp for a dirt pedal. I know both methods could give me the sound I'm after, but for some reason I'd rather get the sound "from the amp" rather than from a pedal (silly I know).

As well as making the "low gain blues/classic rock" type sound easier to dial in, I'd like to be able to get something close to the "just breaking up clean" sound (think Eddie Cochran, Chuck Berry et al) that Fender amps do well. But that's the only thing I'd want a Fender for, so I'm trying to get that sound out of the BS. With the clean channel volume maxed it JUST doesn't quite break up enough even with humbuckers.

Rob

Sonofarich

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:08 pm

I've used the pedals as both a clean boost (no gain) to drive the channel and also for the incredibly transparent OD options they offer. Heck, I could probably even use my MXR 10 band EQ as a boost. Check them out...you may be quite surprised with what they can do.

Hedgehog

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:30 am

OK thanks, I'll find one and give it a go :)

Hedgehog

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:23 pm

A quick follow-up to this thread...
I found a Boss FBM-1 Fender Bassman modelling pedal going at a decent price and bought it. It does the '50s sounds I was after superbly, certainly covers sounds that the HT20 can't do on its own, very pleased with it.
But a bonus is it also does a very nearly clean boost with the gain right down and output volume right up, which is enough to push the HT's clean channel into overdrive with the channel volume right up (and master volume very low!). Not quite sure I like the sound that much but it's useable and very different from either the HT's drive channel or the modelled Fender. Interesting stuff :)

Rob

• Information