Blackstar HT 50 Head

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
daniyalahmed97

Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:40 pm

So i'm getting a Blackstar HT 50 head, and the matching 412 cab. But I wanted to take a step into the tube amp world, and after getting my Blackstar HT Dual pedal, I thought the Venue Range would be a good place to start. However, my issue is this, some say that the head is fake, Solid State sounding; is this correct. I dont care if it actually IS SOLID STATE, just how it sounds, does it have the tube feel to it and the response of a tube amp. I'm sure theres someone in this forum who can help me. Thanks.

Hedgehog

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Well I bought my HT-20 head because I like the way it sounds rather than what components it uses. The HT range do have solid-state components in them (op-amps helping with gain in the preamp [similar to a tube screamer pedal on the drive channel I believe], ss rectifier [although a lot of "proper" amps have that], ss phase inverter [except the HT-60 possibly]), but they have valves in the most useful preamp stages and a valve power section. So "technically" it could be called a hybrid design, but much more "valvey" than other hybrids like a Marshall Valvestate or Orange Micro Terror.

I don't think you should think too much about components when you're buying though - see if you can find one in a shop where you can try it. Before I bought mine I tested some far more "traditional" valve amps and ended up preferring the HT for my purposes, but your opinion may be different. I've played some far "better" amps (i.e. much more traditional designs) than the HT that have sounded and felt pretty disappointing, so I'd advise against buying (or disregarding) amps purely on circuit design. One thing in favour of pure traditional point-to-point valve amps is repairability if they go wrong, but from a player's point of view I reckon a lot of the modern designs are just as good, and often more versatile.

It's worth noting that some of the people who slag off the HT range now because of the "fake solid-state sound" are the same people who were raving about how good they were on release, before somebody opened one up and saw the "evil" ss components :roll:

But no, the HTs are not pure valve amps (but then neither are lots of other "proper" amps), but IMO they are really good amps on their own merit. Give one a try if you can.

daniyalahmed97

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. Well the issue was that where I live there are no good guitar shops. Hence, I imported it. The head just arrived and will be delivered to me soon. I'll post up what I think about it and hopefully help some of those who are like me and are worried about the solid state circuitry in this. My first tube amp and first stack, SOOO EXCITED!!!!

Hedgehog

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Cool - good luck with it, hope you like it :)

I think the HT-50 head has the voicing switching (the 20 doesn't have that), so should be even easier to get a sound you like than on my 20 (which I still think is extremely versatile).

Depending on what sound you're after, you can make quite a difference to the sound by substituting the gain channel preamp tube for a 12AY7 instead of the standard 12AX7. Loads of people (me included) have done this and liked the results - takes some of the gain off and makes the more "traditional" end of the gain channel more useable. It'll still do plenty of gain (more than I ever use) unless you're a high-gain modern metal player.

It's funny, I'm really not a "modern" style player at all but I've ended up with a Blackstar amp into a pair of V30s, which should be very "wrong" for me, but I love it. One of my guitars has a really thin neck as well, which really doesn't bother me. Perhaps there's a shredder in me trying to get out :lol:

daniyalahmed97

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Okay so I got the head yesterday and I've been playing with it ever since. The cab is arriving later so I basically took the emulated out of the ht 50 and put it into the power stage of my 1980's roland( which is solid state). So now for my thoughts.... Well I turned it on, waited a couple of minutes to let it warm up and get ready and then started playing. It was PHENOMENAL!! ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!! The head was soooo smooth and organic and didnt sound harsh at all. And I'm not even using the power stage. It is however quite loud but I don't mind that since I play damn loud any ways. To be quite honest the tone was so soulful I was nearly in tears hahaha. So the whole solid state circuitry debate in my opinion is bull**** and seriously if you want this amp , GO FOR IT!! BLACKSTAR FTW

SRD

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:46 pm

I can't say for sure about the solid state aspect that you were told about, but I can tell you I tried 2 different brands of power tubes in my Club 50 head and I really like what one of them did to the sound of the amp, so I have to think the tube power is the majority tone.

• Information