just got my Stage 60! (and have some questions)

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
gypsyblues73

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:24 am

I'm in LOVE. It's sounding incredible, and I've been having a blast dialing in different sounds. I love that it's so versatile with the voicing switches, and the ISF, but it's not so complex that it's exhausting trying to get a good sound. The only concern I have is that it has a decent amount of hum, especially on the OD2 channel. It seems worse at some times than others, like it's not consistent, but sometimes it's pretty annoying. Would a noise gate take care of it? I've never used one myself.
Also, does the Stage 60 take pedals well? I haven't used stomp boxes in quite a while, as I've been using a Digitech RP355 processor for a while now (to get a decent sound out of my old Peavey Stereo Chorus). I had thought about trying to maybe use the RP355 with the Stage 60, since it has tons of pedals modelled on it, but I think I may want to keep it dialed in for my Peavey and just start a pedalboard to use with my Stage 60, and keep the Peavey/RP355 combo for backup. I did recently pick up a Boss Powerstack ST-2 (incredible pedal, one of the best Boss has ever made), but used in conjunction with the Stage 60's clean channel, there's so much hum it's unuseable :(

Guitarzan

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:35 am

The HT series are built well, but the tubes in them suck. Change all of the pre-amp tubes in them to Groove Tubes (gold) or JJ's.

gypsyblues73

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:34 am

Is it the tubes that cause so much hum? I've read about others having the same problem. This is my first "full tube" amp, I've always used solid states and hybrids up until now, but I got the Stage 60 because I'm sick of SS's and love a good tube sound :) So I know jack about tubes. What would be some good tubes for someone who loves a good saturated metal tone (think Black Label Society or Pantera)?

Guitarzan

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:52 am

gypsyblues73 wrote:Is it the tubes that cause so much hum? I've read about others having the same problem. This is my first "full tube" amp, I've always used solid states and hybrids up until now, but I got the Stage 60 because I'm sick of SS's and love a good tube sound :) So I know jack about tubes. What would be some good tubes for someone who loves a good saturated metal tone (think Black Label Society or Pantera)?
Truthfully, any tubes are better than the stock tubes in the Stage 60. Blackstar uses tubes made by Tube Amp Doctor, which makes OK tubes, but they use the lowest end of their spectrum.

The pre-amp tubes is where all of your tone is going to come from. I use JJ's for my high gain stuff and Groove Tubes for my cleans. But it's not all about the tubes, use a Seymour Duncan Dimbucker for your bridge pick-up, or some Blackouts, either will do the job for Metal.

gypsyblues73

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:34 am

Where can I find JJ's, and what kind? Like I said, I know jack about tubes. I've heard mixed things about the Dimebucker. I use a set of D-Activators in my Ibanez S540 and they sound good but a bit too icepick-like playing lead, but then again, it may be because the guitar itself is thin as an envelope. I'm curious about putting them in my Gibson LP Studio and see how they sound. I use active EMG's too, but from what I've heard about the Blackouts, it may be time to compare. Most people say they smoke the EMG's. Is it hard to change the tubes? Since I just got the amp yesterday I'm kinda hesitant to void the warranty just yet. I may wait to see if I have any issues with it before I slap other tubes in it, but I definitely want to look into it. For now, I wonder if a good noise gate would be sufficient to get rid of the hum?

KKND

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:54 am

hello, welcome to the HT owners group...this is my first tube amp as well and i am facing heaps of new issues to get used to and deal with, for example, after half an hour of playing yesterday, the amp sounded better, but yeah i am gonna change my pre tubes since they r easy to change and affordable...good luck mate and enjoy

Ammar

Guitarzan

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:24 pm

gypsyblues73 wrote:Where can I find JJ's, and what kind? Like I said, I know jack about tubes. I've heard mixed things about the Dimebucker. I use a set of D-Activators in my Ibanez S540 and they sound good but a bit too icepick-like playing lead, but then again, it may be because the guitar itself is thin as an envelope. I'm curious about putting them in my Gibson LP Studio and see how they sound. I use active EMG's too, but from what I've heard about the Blackouts, it may be time to compare. Most people say they smoke the EMG's. Is it hard to change the tubes? Since I just got the amp yesterday I'm kinda hesitant to void the warranty just yet. I may wait to see if I have any issues with it before I slap other tubes in it, but I definitely want to look into it. For now, I wonder if a good noise gate would be sufficient to get rid of the hum?
You can find JJ's on Amazon.com or thetubedepot.com

You should be fine on the pick-up issue.

The pre-amp tubes are easy to replace. Just wiggle and pull them out slowly and pop the new ones in. The tubes are keyed at the bottom, so its hard to screw it up. I's like changing a lightbulb, but easier. One you do it you'll say "oh.. that's it?". If you to though, there are plenty of videos on YouTube that demonstrate the process.

A Noise Gate will KILL all of your tone. Just remember, this amp has loads of gain and you just may need to turn down the gain a bit. I use the HT-100, with a Marshall 4x12 and my Les Paul studio and I get some squeal if I turn it past 1 o'clock. BUT, I did notice when I changed the stock tube to a JJ ECC82, that the squeal was gone, but there was a little feedback still, but it sounds natural and tonal and it sounds GOOD.

I'm telling you man, order new pre-amp tubes, wait a few days for your new tubes to come in the mail (Amplified Parts has REALLY fast delivery and cheap), play your amp with the stock tubes a bunch and then change them and be prepared to be blown away. It will be worth the 30 bucks, trust me.

Guitarzan

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:30 pm

KKND wrote: hello, welcome to the HT owners group...this is my first tube amp as well and i am facing heaps of new issues to get used to and deal with, for example, after half an hour of playing yesterday, the amp sounded better, but yeah i am gonna change my pre tubes since they r easy to change and affordable...good luck mate and enjoy

Ammar
The amp sounding better after an hour is perfectly natural. A lot of tube places offer a 24 hour burn in for their tubes for this reason. Burned in tubes sound a LOT better. Check out this article for more..

www.jacmusic.com/html/club/FAQ-about-burn-in.pdf

KKND

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Great info man, thanks :D

gypsyblues73

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Guitarzan wrote: A Noise Gate will KILL all of your tone. Just remember, this amp has loads of gain and you just may need to turn down the gain a bit. I use the HT-100, with a Marshall 4x12 and my Les Paul studio and I get some squeal if I turn it past 1 o'clock. BUT, I did notice when I changed the stock tube to a JJ ECC82, that the squeal was gone, but there was a little feedback still, but it sounds natural and tonal and it sounds GOOD.
Do you use a pedalboard? As bad as the hum is now, I'm concerned about what it'll be like with some pedals strung together. I was thinking that even though you lose tone through a noisegate, I was just going to do some research and find the best option where you lose the least tone, then maybe get an EQ to help preserve the tone a bit more to offset the noisegate. I learned quick that I have to dial the gain back a good deal, but that's kinda counter-productive to what I play (pretty much nothing but metal). As much gain as it has, I don't need to crank it all the way, certainly, but I still need a good dose of it. If the hum stays this bad, I may take it back and try out another one.

• Information